As an international student, you know that you have unique needs when it comes to looking for work during and after your studies at McGill. You may have many questions about the Canadian job market or how to navigate through the job search, as well as how to prepare a Canadian CV and cover letter. We, at the McGill Career Planning Service (CaPS), are here to help you find your way.
We recommend that you attend one of the workshops tailored for you depending on your goal of finding a summer/part time job or a permanent post-graduation position. The workshops are entitled:
- International Students: Adapting to the Canadian Job Market
Workshop where you can learn how to make the cultural transition to the Canadian job market
- International Students: Finding Summer and Part-Time Opportunities
Workshop where you will be exposed with the tools and resources of finding a summer/part time job.
- For a full listing of workshops, and to register for a workshop, please log-in into myFuture -> Events.
- To make an appointment with a career advisor to discuss your career direction/options, call 514-398-3304.
- For a quick CV or cover letter review, or if you have a quick career related question, please come in during the drop-in hours.
McGill International Student Services (ISS) provides immigration-related information to international students wanting to work in Canada (on campus, off-campus, in internships or co-op, during the summer, and after graduation). For more information, consult: ISS Student Work & Work Permits.
ISS also offers information sessions, guidance, workshops and webinars on topics such as:
- International student work, work permits and SINs
- Intro to intercultural communication
- Permanent residence info sessions (hosted by Immigration Quebec)
- Traveling to the US for work or leisure
- And many others – see ISS Events and Workshops for details
If you have questions about immigration and visas, visit the following sites:
- ISS - Immigration Information
- Study in Canada (Government of Canada)
- Stay in Canada after graduation (Government of Canada)
- Immigrating to Quebec (Gouvernement du Québec)
- Guides d'immigration (Immigrant Québec)
Consult the following resources for information on employment:
- Find a Job, Building a Future - Information on employment, education and how to manage money.
- If your employer has questions about your eligibility to work as an international student, you can direct him/her to the Employer Resource Page. You can also give him/her this brochure.