If you are a PhD or postdoctoral fellow looking for opportunities, consult the following resources for a list of job websites, social network websites, articles of interest and other resources.
Job websites - A list of job boards for PhD or postdoctoral fellows.
Doctoral Student Career Planning
Connected Academics - Doctoral Student Career Planning Guide is an MLA project to develop students' capacities to bring the expertise they acquire in advanced humanistic study to a wide range of careers. This guide is designed to help faculty members advise students effectively about pathways for PhDs.
Please note that CaPS and McGill do not endorse any particular websites/services; the listing is for your information only.
The following articles provide ideas, tips and advice on career options for PhDs and postdocs.
- The 10,000 PhDs Project: a closer look at the numbers (UA)
- The Repurposed Ph.D. (Rebecca Tuhus-Dubrow)
- Where are Canada's PhDs Employed? (The Conference Board of Canada)
For more career information and tools regarding career options for PhD students, consult the following resources.
- TRaCE McGill
Interviews with McGill PhD graduates in discussion about education and career pathways.
- McGill myPath
A tool to help you identify and plan your goals.
- Carpe Careers (Inside Higher ED)
Tips on how to land a non-professor position after grad school.
- Doctoral Student Timeline (UCI)
A framework of to-do-activities during your studies.
- From PhD to Life
A blog with career stories on how one transitions from academia to industry.
A tool that facilitates self-reflection, career exploration and planning for Social Sciences PhDs.
- PhD Career Stories
For people interested in career possibilities after a PhD.
- PhD in Progress Podcast
Podcasts that entertain/inform students on the young academic community.
- What are all the PhDs?
A project aimed at putting all the various career paths for PhDs into focus.
Join one or more social network groups to connect with alumni and professionals in your field to build your network and find job leads.
- McGillConnect - A global network that connects McGill alumni.
- Association of Postdoctoral Fellows of McGill University
- Beyond the Professoriate
- Canadian Association for Graduate Studies
- Canadian Association of Postdoctoral Scholars
- Form PhD to Life
- National Postdoctoral Association
- LinkedIn - McGill University
- LinkedIn Group - PhD to Consulting (Sign in to see)
- LinkedIn Group - PhD Careers Outside Academia (Sign in to see)
Think Tanks & Research Centres
The following links will help you find research projects, theses and research organizations.
- Canadian Think Tanks
Organizations in research and advocacy.
- Mitacs - Canadian Science Policy Fellowship.
For a list of opportunities: Project List. Questions? Contact a representative
- Association of University Research Parks Members
A list of AURP research and technology park members in Canada and around the globe.
For a list of research parks worldwide: Research Parks
- Open Think Tank Directory
A global collection of think tanks and related organisations.
- Canadian Research Facilities Navigator (Innovation.ca)
A directory of research facilities universities, colleges and hospitals across Canada.
- Canadian Departments and Agencies
A list of state-owned enterprises.
For a comprehensive listing of federal organizations: Inventory of Federal Organizations
- Canada's Top Research Database (Research Infosource Inc.)
This site provides top research organizations including corporate R&D spenders, research universities, research hospitals, and research colleges.
Find a Research Project or Publication
The following links will help you find research projects and connect with peers in the field.
- McGill Research Network
Discover researchers and locate them at the places where they work.
- McGill - eScholarship@McGill
A repository of McGill faculty and students' publications and theses.
A professional network to connect and collaborate with other researchers.
- EU-funded projects (CORDIS)
A source to find EU-funded projects.
- UK - FindAPhD
A UK platform to find PhD projects and research opportunities.