Are you considering a career outside academia? Not sure if a academic career is suitable for you? CaPS has compiled a list of job search websites, social network websites, articles of interest, books & other resources for graduate students interested in non-academic careers.
Please note that CaPS and McGill do not endorse any particular websites/services; the listing is for your information only.
For a list of sample CVs or résumés and cover letters, consult the following sites:
- Sample Industry CV for PhDs and Postdocs
- Sample Resumes for Graduate Students (UPenn)
- Sample Cover Letters for Graduate Students (UPenn)
- Sample CVs, Resumes & Cover Letters (UCSF)
Articles of Interest
Consult the following sites for tips and advice on writing non-academic résumés, CVs and cover letters.
- 5 best practices for resume writing that transitioning PhDs need to know (Career Path Writing Solutions)
- CV or résumé (UA)
- How to ask for a reference letter (UA)
- What to do when "no one reads resumes" (UA)
Information, tips and advice for those who are interested in opportunities beyond academia. The following resources cover information on how to transfer your skill sets to industry setting, and panels that explore and explain everything you need to know about careers outside academia.
One of the best ways to secure a job lead is through networking and informational interviews with professionals in the field. The following websites will give you tips and advice on how to build your network and prepare for information interviews.