Bench Power Tools
Hand Power Tools
MACHINE SHOP USAGE POLICY
You may request to use the machine shop by sending an email to services.bme [at] mcgill.ca (subject: Use%20of%20workshop%20) (this address). Use of the shop is billed at a rate of $20/hour and is payable by FOAPAL. However, the department reserves the right to deny access to a user who, for example, does not respect the equipment, lacks required shop skills, ignores basic safety protocols, who does not clean up after themselves, etc. With this in mind, the shop basically operates as follows.
- McGill requires that you have Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS) training before you may work in the workshop because of various chemicals on the premises. See the Environmental Health and Safety web site for more information. Visitors to the shop may be exempted from having said training.
- The department has no machinist to make parts for you. For the most part you are on your own with your project. You may receive training on how to use equipment and advice on how to proceed with your project.
- Special tools required for a project may be at the expense of the lab commissioning the project.
- A user that breaks a tool must report the incident to the shop manager so that arrangements may be made to have the item fixed or replaced. If the equipment was used with negligence the lab responsible for the user will be passed on the costs.
- Stock for a project - including sacrificial materials, such as base plates - must be purchased at the expense of the lab. (It is recommended that remaining stock be taken back to the lab for future use. There is no control over stock left in the machine shop nor is there any accountability of ownership.)
- Shop cleanliness abides by a zero footprint policy. After each shop use the user must clean the equipment, work surfaces, and floor so that, within reason, there is no sign of work having been done there.
- The shop stocks hand, ear and eye personal protective equipment.