Why is this important?
It's important to take action based on something more than gut feelings. Data can help you assess your site’s performance so you can make informed decisions concerning improvements.
Checklist of things to do
- Analyze quantitative behavioural analytics data (Google and Facebook Analytics)
- Watch screen recordings and heat maps to understand how visitors navigate your site (Hotjar)
- Conduct tests to evaluate your decisions (Google Optimize)
- Perform qualitative research to better understand user experience (Optimal Workshop)
- Be mindful of ethical and privacy considerations concerning data collection for analytics and user research, see McGill's Policy on the Responsible Use of Information Technology at McGill, IT Services, article 7.5
Need help with your data collection and analysis? Contact google.analytics [at] mcgill.ca.