Renting a Vehicle

Please note that Car rental companies are currently experiencing shortages across North America. It is recommended to book your car rental as far in advance as possible.

Payment for rental vehicles is only possible via personal credit card. 

Please read Important Insurance Information below  

Rental within Canada

  1. Enterprise

  2. Hertz

  3. Avis

  4. CAUBO Canadian Association of University Business Officers  (For faculty and staff only - sign up required) prices may be lower for rentals picked up outside of Quebec

Personal Travel: Book directly on the McGill landing pages from the links above

University funded Travel: Book directly on the McGill landing pages from the links above or through Direct Travel/Concur if you are also booking flights or hotel (service fees apply otherwise)

Rental outside of Canada

  1. Via the links above through Enterprise or Avis

  2. Direct Travel / Concur (university sponsored travel only)

  3. CAUBO Canadian Association of University Business Officers  ( For faculty and staff only - sign up required – the University is a member )

Read before renting a vehicle for a university related activity

  1. It is the responsibility of the traveler to ensure that all drivers have the appropriate licenses to drive the rented vehicle and that adequate insurance is in place to cover both 3rd Party Liability and Collision/Loss Damage Waiver (CDW/LDW)

  2. McGill’s Risk Management and Insurance Unit strongly recommend the purchase of both 3rd Party Liability and Collision/Loss Damage Waiver insurance from the rental company

  3. Vehicle Rentals within Canada by law include 3rd Party Liability

The following should be taken into consideration at the time of renting a vehicle:

a. If paying with the McGill issued American Express Corporate Card (AMEX) the Collision/Loss Damage Waiver insurance is covered by AMEX in North America ONLY. No need to buy CDW/LDW. If renting a vehicle outside of North America please contact Royal Sun Alliance ~1-800-243-0198 (the Underwriting Department of AMEX) to clarify coverage in the country where you are picking up the vehicle. PDF icon AMEX Insurance Booklet

b. If renting a vehicle in Canada, the 3rd Party Liability insurance is included. No need to buy 3rd Party Liability. THERE MAY BE EXCEPTIONS: If taking the car to the USA verify if you are covered for the States that you are driving through

c. If renting a vehicle for more than 30 consecutive days in North America you might be able to be insured under the University’s Automobile Insurance Policy by contacting Risk Management and Insurance - [at]  

d. If renting a vehicle for more than 14 days, consider off-airport pick-up which may reduce the rental costs considerably

Important notice for international travelers

The Government of Canada provides essential information on travel health risks and preventive measures to keep you safe during your travels. It is important to review the Travel website of Canada each time before you book your travels. Under Travel Health Notices the Public Health Agency of Canada outline potential health risks to Canadian travelers and recommend ways to help reduce them.


Back to top