Research partnerships or agreements (as opposed to grants) between McGill University and an industry, government or non-profit organization typically fall into one of the following broad funding arrangements:
- Service Agreement
- Research Agreement
- Collaborative Agreement
- Inter-Institutional Agreements
- Sub-Contracts & Amendments
At the early stages of collaboration, the following agreements may also arise:
Each of these contractual arrangements differ in terms of the parties’ control over scope and timing of the project, the nature of the services provided, intellectual property rights conferred to the sponsor, the type of research personnel involved, and the degree of latitude on budgeting.
The following section provides an overview of these types of arrangements; in all cases, please contact a member of the OSR Grants and Agreements team as early as possible in the process.
For McGill’s research agreement templates, please see the Forms and Resources page.
Please involve our offices as early as possible in the collaboration process. OSR and Industry Partnerships can assist you with the following:
- Oversee research agreements:
- Draft – Provide advice and prepare agreements for review
- Negotiate – Liaise with sponsors, universities, industry and other partners (e.g. government agencies, not-for-profit organizations, etc.)
- Execute – Signing authority on research contracts and agreements
- Liaison – for new and existing partnerships
- Participate in building project proposals – competitive bids, partner engagement, team building and collaboration
- Help you to understand your agreement and its implications for your research
For research agreements involving industry partners, and for MTAs, please contact the Industry Partnerships team for assistance. For all other types of agreements, please contact the OSR Grants and Agreements team.