Mandate and purpose
The Research Advisory Council (RAC) is the primary forum for exchange, discussion, and updates on University-wide research related dossiers between the Office of the Vice-Principal, Research and Innovation (OVP-RI), the hospital Research Institutes, and the Faculties. Chaired by the VP-RI, members of RAC exchange on strategic items such as planning for research infrastructure and space, major governmental programs for research funding, and other related topics.
RAC makes recommendations to the Academic Policy Committee (APC) on research policies and the creation of new research centres as well as endorsements of research-related plans and reports to submit for approval through standard McGill governance channels. RAC members are encouraged and welcome to suggest any top of mind issues for discussion at meetings.
- Vice-Principal (Research and Innovation), Chair
- Deputy Vice-Principal (Research and Innovation)
- Associate Vice-Principal(s) (Research and Innovation)
- Provost (or delegate)
- Dean of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies
- One nominee from each of the Faculty Deans, usually Associate Dean (Research and/or Graduate Studies)
- Directors of hospital research institutes (or delegates)
Guests may be invited to meetings at the discretion of the Chair.
Frequency of meetings
RAC meets four to five times per academic year. Members may be consulted via email between meetings on matters that require a fast turnaround time.
RAC documentation and Note-taking
The Office of the VP-RI prepares the agenda and staff take notes at meetings.
An annual report is submitted to APC on matters related to research policies and research centres.
- Sylvain Baillet, Associate Dean (Research), Faculty of Medicine
- Miguel Burnier, Scientific Director, Research Institute of the MUHC (delegate: Indra Gupta)
- Angela Campbell, Associate Provost (Equity + Academic Policies)
- Allison Christians, Associate Dean (Research), Faculty of Law
- Sylvain Coulombe, Associate Vice-Principal (Innovation and Partnerships)
- Martha Crago, (RAC Chair), Vice-Principal, Research and innovation
- Philippe Gros, Deputy Vice-Principal, Research and Innovation
- Nancy Heath, Associate Dean (Research and Graduate Studies), Faculty of Education
- Salwa Karboune, Associate Dean (Research), Faculty of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences
- Svetlana Komarova, Associate Dean (Research + Graduate Dental Education), Faculty of Dentistry
- Rod McInnes, Director, Lady Davis Institute of the Jewish General Hospital (delegate: Stéphanie Lehoux)
- Josephine Nalbantoglu, Dean, Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies
- Milica Popovic, Associate Dean (Research + Innovation), Faculty of Engineering
- Nancy Ross, Associate Vice-Principal (Research and Innovation)
- Tabitha Sparks, Associate Dean (Research and Graduate Studies), Faculty of Arts
- John Stix, Associate Dean (Research and Graduate Studies), Faculty of Science
- Gustavo Turecki, Scientific Director, Douglas Research Centre (delegate: Martin Lepage)
- Emmanuelle Vaast, Associate Dean (Research), Desautels Faculty of Management
- Lloyd Whitesell, Associate Dean (Research), Schulich School of Music
- Kristina Ohrvall, Director Strategic Initiatives, Office of the Vice-Principal (Research + Innovation) and RAC Coordinator
- Linda Rice, RAC Secretary and Assistant to the Vice-Principal (Research + Innovation)
Other staff members from the Office of VP-RI are invited as appropriate per the agenda
- November 3, 2020
- December 15, 2020
- January 19, 2021
- March 16, 2021
- April 20, 2021