Interruption of studies - transfer credit

If you studied at another university during an interruption of your McGill studies, transfer credit towards your McGill degree will only be considered in exceptional circumstances, unless you had received prior approval from Arts OASIS. Courses must have been taken at a degree granting institution that appears on the Arts OASIS list of institutions approved for transfer credit. Transfer credit that is reported after government reporting deadlines will have fee assessment implications.

If you took courses at another approved institution while registered as a degree student, instead of an undergraduate “non-degree Visiting student”, credits can only be transferred to your McGill degree once studyaway.arts [at] (Arts OASIS) has received confirmation from the institution that you have withdrawn from the university and degree program. You are not permitted to be concurrently registered as an undergraduate degree student at two different universities.

If you studied at another university during an interruption of your McGill studies and you do not have an active McGill student record, you must:

  1. Submit a Minerva “Request for Readmission
  2. Indicate in the “Student Comment” section of your application, the name of the institution you attended and the list of course(s) in which you were enrolled. If you obtained a Bachelor’s degree at another institution, you must indicate it.
  3. You must make arrangements to have your final, official transcript sent from the institution(s) you attended. McGill accepts electronic final official transcripts sent through a recognized digital credential service provider or directly from the issuing institution(s).

    Recognized digital credential service providers include (but are not limited to):
    • MyCreds
    • Parchment
    • Credentials Solutions
    • Bureau du cooperation interuniversitaire (BCI)
    • National Student Clearinghouse
    • Digitary
    • My eQuals
    • eScrip-safe

    · If it is not possible for documents to be sent via one of the service providers listed above, McGill will accept final official transcripts (in PDF format) sent directly from the issuing institution to officialschooldocs [at] Documents that are determined to be unofficial will not be accepted. Transcripts in languages other than English or French must be accompanied by an English or French translation prepared by the school. If your school cannot provide a translation, you must send a translation from a certified translator.

  4. Once received, your transcript(s) will be reviewed and you will receive an email from the Transfer Credit Team informing you whether you are eligible to receive transfer credit towards your McGill degree and if additional documentation (ex: official transcript) is required, therefore, please check your email account regularly.

Arts OASIS reserves the right to refuse to award McGill transfer credit if you were not pre-approved to attend, or that the host school or any of its courses fails to meet the Arts OASIS study away policies or McGill’s program or degree requirements. 

Note regarding online courses: refer to the Online Education page, and to the Policy on Transfer Credits for Online Courses.


Back to top