Secure your journey is McGill’s cybersecurity awareness campaign.
Its goal is to influence the adoption of best practices throughout the community to protect McGill’s data and systems as well as our own information.
At McGill, we are all on a journey. Although we may each work towards different goals during our time here, we all have one thing in common: Each one of us needs to stay safe from beginning to end.
On February 1, 2020, IT Services will begin enforcing restarts for all IT-managed Windows systems with pending updates.
Here are 4 reasons why students should get two-factor authentication (2FA) to protect their McGill accounts:
Changing laws and the new realities of remote work are altering how we need to act to protect the privacy of others. As an official 2021 Data Privacy Day champion, McGill IT Services invites you to learn how to care for your and other people’s personal data in this era of change.
New to McGill? IT Services have much to offer! Get an overview of many of the services available to you as a new member of our McGill community by checking out this webinar (from last Fall’s virtual orientation event). Our IT experts walk you through many of the important services you may seek throughout your journey at McGill.
Support for Skype for Business will be ending by summer 2021. For communications with McGill parties, including text messaging, audio and video calls, virtual meetings and filesharing, we recommend using Microsoft Teams.
For anyone currently using Skype for Business to make phone calls, we will soon be announcing plans for a new softphone solution. Stay tuned for further announcements in the coming weeks.
You may receive an email that looks like it comes from one of your coworkers, saying something like: "Can you do me a favor?"
If you reply, the next email asks you to purchase a gift card on their behalf. The message may say they need the card immediately, but they are too busy to do it, and they will pay you back as soon as possible.
These emails are not legitimate. They are being sent by malicious entities who are impersonating people in your contacts list to gain your trust and exploit you. These kinds of fraudulent emails, known as "phishing", attempt to gain your trust in order to access your personal and/or credit card information, or to get money (in the form of gift cards).
DO NOT click any links or reply to such messages. Delete these emails immediately!
Adobe has been announcing the end of support for Flash since 2017. As of December 31, 2020, Adobe will no longer distribute the Flash Player; no updates or security patches will be issued, and Flash will not be supported on web browsers. The company recommends that all users uninstall Flash Player before the EOL date. See the official announcement from Adobe.
Congratulations to Gavin Goodwin and Zéphir Lorne, the two lucky winners of the “Stay sharp to stay safe” contest! Each will receive a McGill hoodie.
A new version of Cisco AnyConnect Mobility Client is now available to support macOS Big Sur (macOS 11).
Cisco AnyConnect is used to access McGill's virtual private network (VPN), which allows you to connect from home or off-campus to protected internal resources, such as the uPrint system, Workday, Banner and desktop computers on campus.
As part of McGill’s responsibility to address the urgency of climate change, the Office of Sustainability and IT Services have collaborated to bring Ecosia, a search engine that plants trees, to McGill. We encourage students, staff, faculty and alumni to install the Ecosia extension to contribute to reforestation initiatives across the globe.
We are happy to announce that 80% of uPrint machines have been replaced by new Xerox Altalink color printers. The remaining 20 % of these machines will be replaced in May 2021.
Read about uPrint campus printing in the IT Knowledge Base.
Original message posted September 8, 2020
We have changed up the photo on the McGill signin page... here's hoping for another few weeks of autumn!
In the wake of numerous cybersecurity incidents affecting public organizations and close partners to McGill University, IT services encourages you to learn more about ransomware and how to protect against it:
Starting on November 1st, 2020, myCourses Learning Management System will support two-factor authentication (2FA), the security standard for authentication across universities and business sectors.