ISS is here for you.

All services continue to be offered remotely during regular business hours.

COVID-19 Updates from International Student Services: August 2021: Easing of border measures coming into effect on August 9th, 2021 at 12:01am (ET). 
The latest updates can be found on the Entering Canada page.
            1. International students with a valid study permit (or approval letter) can travel to Canada (McGill is on the list of DLIs with an approved COVID-19 readiness plan). Before making travel plans, please refer to our Entering Canada page.
            2. Fully vaccinated travellers authorized to enter Canada by land or by air, are now exempt from the federal requirement to undergo a 14-day quarantine. The 14-day quarantine continues to be required for all other travellers who are not considered fully vaccinated.
           3. For more information, please refer to McGill's quarantine resources and IHI’s vaccination FAQs.

Please visit our COVID-19 page for additional news, resources, and FAQs.

Study Permit Renewal Guide

Before reviewing the information below, please see ISS' COVID-19 FAQs and resources pages for up to date information on the impact of COVID-19 on immigration related matters.


Study Permit Renewal Guide

The study permit is the official immigration document that authorizes you to study legally in Canada. It must be valid throughout your studies in Canada. You must also meet the conditions of your study permit in order to remain in Canada as a student.

If your study permit will expire before you complete your program of studies, you must:

  1. Apply to extend it before it expires!
  2. Have a valid CAQ in order to extend your study permit.
  3. Have a valid passport in order to extend your study permit. Your new study permit cannot be issued for longer than the expiration date of your passport. Ideally, your passport should be valid for the remainder of your studies.
  4. Apply to extend your study permit even if you have only one semester left. This is because you must have a valid study permit for the duration of your program. Your last term of study is not considered a “short-term” course as it is part of a study program that is more than six months in total.

Contact ISS right away if either of the following situations applies to you:

  1. Your study permit is about to expire and you do not have a new CAQ– e.g. CAQ renewal is still in processing OR you have not yet submitted your CAQ application.
  2. You are outside of Canada, your study permit is about to expire, and you will not have your new study permit application approved before you return to Canada.

For more information

Back to top