For more information about the SSHRC competitions, including a summary of eligibility criteria, see SSHRC information for applicants.
Fall 2014 Academic Unit deadlines for nomination to GPS are: November 6th, 2014
Academic Unit quotas
Academic Unit may recommend a maximum of 10% of their Graduate enrolment.
Eligibility and evaluation
Departmental evaluations should be based the following criteria and weighting available on the SSHRC website: Doctoral Evaluation Criteria
Units should ensure candidate's eligibility is based on the criteria available on the SSHRC website: Doctoral Eligibility
Note: “Department” roles usually refers to work led by appointed fellowships coordinator of the Academic Unit
- Student requests transcripts and referee letters to go to Academic Unit: hardcopy referee letters must be submitted and added to application (in sealed envelopes)
- Student fills out online application
- Student saves application
- Student prints and submits finalized application to Academic Unit
- Student brings printed completed application copies in-person to Academic Unit (# of copies required determined by Academic Unit)
- Academic Unit accepts entire application including supporting documents from students in person
- Academic Unit file review committee reviews files and decides to “recommend” or “not recommend” to GPS Graduate Funding (submit via GPS-FAD*)
- Academic Unit completes departmental appraisal form and adds it to student application (hardcopy)
- Academic Unit communicates file review outcomes to applicants
- a) Academic Unit forwards the original and 1 hardcopy of the “recommended” files and 1 copy of “non-recommended” files to GPS Graduate Funding – James Building Room 400 or through internal mail. Documents/packages clearly labeled "GPS Graduate Funding".
b) Academic Unit will also scan the original (full application package) the “recommended” files and sends to GPS Graduate Funding unit via gradcomp [dot] gps [at] mcgill [dot] ca .
- GPS Graduate Funding's file review committee reviews the recommended files and decides to “recommend” or “not recommend” to granting agency
- GPS Graduate Funding notifies every applicant (whose application was recommended to GPS by Academic Unit) of the outcome of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies’ file review
- Agency announces winners in Spring
Click image below to enlarge view of SSHRC application process flow chart