Aug, 2017 – His Highness Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi and Deputy Supreme Commander of the UAE Armed Forces, received Alia Al Ameri and Abdul Rahman Al Musa'abi, recipients of the McGill-UAE Fellowship in Science and Engineering.
Sept, 2018 – The scholars meet with the Deans of Graduate & Postdoctoral Studies, Engineering, and Science and the UAE Program Manager, as well as Rania Haj Chahine and Mohamed Al Shamsi from the Embassy of the United Arab Emirates in Ottawa.
Welcome prospective UAE students! We’re glad that you are considering McGill University for your Master’s or PhD degree.
McGill-UAE Fellowships in Science and Engineering
The ABU DHABI CROWN PRINCE COURT, under the direction of His Highness Sheikh Mohamed Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi, and McGill University, have established the McGill-UAE Fellowships in Science and Engineering.
These fellowships support and enhance existing efforts to put STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) at the forefront of the UAE national agenda by encouraging STEM leaders from the UAE to pursue their higher education at McGill University, one of the top-ranked universities in the world.
- Earn your advanced degree from McGill University, one of the top universities in the world, with tuition, travel and living costs paid by the fellowship program.
- Your McGill degree will be recognized around the globe; it offers unparalleled access to further education and opens doors to employment opportunities within the UAE and elsewhere.
- You are not required to fulfill any conditions once you have completed your studies.
- Under the terms of the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program you may remain in Canada for up to three years after graduating to gain valuable Canadian work experience.
- Open to all UAE nationals (citizens) – UAE residents may also be considered
- Up to two Fellowships will be offered to eligible candidates each Fall and each Winter admissions cycle
How to Apply
No application process: all UAE applicants who are offered admission to the university will automatically be considered for the fellowship
- These fellowships are among the most generous at McGill and are awarded to exceptional Master’s and PhD students from the UAE so that they can pursue advanced studies in any STEM discipline offered at McGill University.
- Each McGill-UAE fellow will receive an ample amount each year (up to $52,500) to cover tuition and living expenses. This amount is renewable, to allow for up to two years for Master’s students, and up to 4 years for PhD candidates.
- A travel allowance (as much as $5,000) will also be available each year for each student.
- There will be additional support (up to $16,000) to participate in a one-time out-of-classroom, experiential learning opportunity: each student is eligible for a generous amount for activities such as industry internships, supervised field studies, collaboration with researchers, or working with mentors on entrepreneurial ventures.
N.B. all amounts are in Canadian dollars
Learn more about Applying to be Admitted to Graduate Studies at McGill University.
- Among the top 25 universities in the world (QS World University Rankings) since the start of the QS rankings and top university in Canada among medical-doctoral universities for 11 consecutive years (MacLean’s magazine)
- Quebec tuition fees are some of the lowest in North America, and much lower than those in the United Kingdom and the United States
- As an international student, you are eligible to receive a Work Permit to work in Canada for up to three years after you graduate
- Study alongside students from over 160 countries, and become part of a network of over 250,000 alumni around the world, including 4 astronauts and the current Prime Minister of Canada
- Live and study in Montreal, consistently ranked as one of the world’s best cities:
- #2 Best City (Safe Cities Index 2015 – The Economist)
- #7 Best City (Best Student Cities 2016 – QS Top Universities Index)
Please take a look at international credentials and grade equivalencies for information on grading and degree systems, and minimum credentials required for admissions.
You may wish to consult the Cultural Bureau at the Embassy of the United Arab Emirates in Ottawa. The Cultural Bureau has been set up to meet the educational needs of UAE students wishing to continue their higher education at universities or colleges in Canada.
If you have decided on McGill as your university of choice, please check out Your First Year at McGill for information on how to prepare, essential resources for graduate students, and getting to know McGill.
The Interuniversity Consortium for Arab and Middle Eastern Studies (ICAMES) is a collaborative project of McGill University, the Université de Montréal, and Concordia University, together with associated researchers based at other institutions. Established in 1989, ICAMES promotes and facilitate research on the contemporary Middle East.