SSHRC and CIHR Undergraduate Student Research Awards for Black students
This opportunity is open exclusively to eligible students who self-identify as Black. All other eligibility rules and all selection criteria are the same as for NSERC.
For more complete information about SSHRC, CIHR, & NSERC USRA, including a summary of eligibility criteria and student deadlines, see information for SSHRC, CIHR, & NSERC USRA applicants
NSERC USRA actively encourages eligible students who are FEMALE, Canadian INDIGENOUS, and those who identify as BLACK to apply
- NSERC is reminding you that the USRA program actively encourages women applicants in their pursuit of graduate studies and careers in science and engineering.
- NSERC also encourages eligible Canadian Indigenous students to apply.
- NSERC is also encouraging students who self-identify as Black to apply.
For more complete information about NSERC USRA, including a summary of eligibility criteria and student deadlines, see information for SSHRC, CIHR, & NSERC USRA applicants.
Value & Duration
$6 000. from AGENCY + contribution from Supervisor ($2800.00 minimum for 15 week project to be increased accordingly for projects 16 weeks) subject to change according to Quebec minimum wage increase yet to be published.
- 15-16 consecutive weeks on a full-time basis (35 hours)
Important eligibility note:
Students who have completed a Bachelor’s degree must have been registered in a Bachelor’s degree at an eligible university in at least one of the 2 terms immediately previous to the award to be eligible to hold a USRA. For the purposes of this document, the terms of an academic year are: Summer: May to August, Fall: September to December, and Winter: January to April.
Student may NOT hold more than three(3) NSERC USRA in a lifetime.
Departments should verify their deadlines and administrative requirements with their faculties.
Deadline for faculties to submit nominations and payment information to GPS: 10 April 2024
McGill webpage link to share with your students: https://mcgill.ca/gps/funding/students/nserc-usra
Required forms for Faculties and Departments
- NSERC Checklist provided by applicant (will be available in late January)
- CIHR / SSHRC Checklist provided by applicant (available in late January)
Awarding and Payment Materials:
- Student Stipend Authorization Form (for supervisor portion of award)
- USRA Offer Sample (please adapt for SSHRC or CIHR as appropriate if required)
- NSERC USRA Awardee Payment list (Summer 2024)
- SSHRC / CIHR USRA Awardee Payment list (Summer 2024)