The University Laboratory Safety Committee (ULSC) harmonizes laboratory and research safety issues under a single umbrella, and can address not only the issues related to work with radioactive substances and microorganisms, but also chemicals, lasers and any other lab-specific hazards on a more uniform basis.
The ULSC advises and reports to the Vice-Principal (Research and Innovation). The Chair of the Committee is appointed by the Vice-Principal (Research and Innovation). Secretariat Services are provided by Environmental Health & Safety.
- Vice-Principal (Research and Innovation) or designate
- Co-Chairs (2) of Faculty Safety Committee, Medicine
- Chair of Faculty Safety Committee, Science
- Chair of Faculty Safety Committee, Agricultural and Environmental Sciences
- Chair of Faculty Safety Committee, Engineering
Non Voting Members
- EHS Operations Manager
- Manager, Hazardous Waste Management
- Radiation Safety
- Biological Safety
- Safety in Animal Care (Director, Comparative Medicine and Animal Resources Centre)
- EHS Radiation Safety Officer
- EHS Biosafety Officers
Associate Members of the ULSC are academic or staff members with expertise in important areas of laboratory safety listed above. They are appointed for 3-year terms by the Chair of the committee. Their role is to provide advice and expertise to the ULSC as well as to the EHS Officers. Associate members are invited to attend ULSC meetings only on an as-needed basis but are expected to be present at the annual review of their respective area of laboratory safety. They shall be provided copies of all meeting announcements, agendas, minutes and EHS officer reports.
- To develop, recommend, update, and maintain policies applicable to the health and safety of work conducted in laboratories and workshops
- To receive and review reports of activities from Departmental and Faculty Health and Safety Committees. Each Faculty Chair or co-chair is expected to provide an annual safety report to the ULSC
- To receive and review reports related to laboratory health and safety services, activities, incidents, and interventions in laboratory areas and to develop corrective strategies where needed
- To receive and review license applications and reports to and from the Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission
- To conduct an annual review of the Radiation Safety Program to be presented to the ULSC by the EHS Radiation Safety Officer
- To oversee the system for review and approval of applications for work with biohazardous agents
- To receive and review reports to and from the Public Health Agency of Canada
- To conduct an annual review of the Biosafety Program that will be presented to the ULSC by the EHS Biosafety Officers
- To establish strategies to ensure ongoing and adequate safety orientation and training of students and staff working in laboratories
- To submit an annual report of its activities to the University Health and Safety Committee and to the Vice-Principal of Research and Innovation.
|Chair||Prof. Milan Maric||Faculty of Engineering, Chemical Engineering|
Dr. Alfredo Ribeiro-da-Silva
Faculty of Medicine
|Pharmacology and Therapeutics|
Dr. Dieter Reinhardt
Faculty of Medicine
|Anatomy & Cell Biology|
Dr. Grant Clark
Faculty of Agricultural & Environmental Sciences
Faculty of Engineering
Dr. Ashok K. Kakkar
Faculty of Science
|Comparative Medicine & Animal Resource Centre|
|OVP-RIR-Office of Research and Ethics and Compliance|
Dr. Dominic Ryan
Dr. Martin Olivier
Dr. Marcel Behr
EHS Operations Manager
|Environmental Health & Safety|
|Hazardous Waste Manager|
Minutes, Agendas & Schedule
This page is restricted to the McGill Community.
To view the committee's agendas, minutes and schedule, please use your McGill email address and password to sign in using the 'Sign in' link in the bottom right corner of this page.
A new link - Minutes, Agendas & Schedule will appear in the menu on the left side.
If you are having trouble accessing this page, please ehs [at] mcgill.ca (email Environmental Health & Safety) or phone (514) 398-4563.