The Sustainable Labs Working Group (working group of the University Lab Safety Committee) was established in October 2014, bringing together students, staff and faculty working to embed sustainability considerations into lab processes. This aligned with Action 3 “Sustainable labs” of the University’s 2014-2016 Priority Actions for the Vision 2020 Sustainability Strategy (approved in spring of 2014), and to Research Action R-3 under the current version Climate and Sustainability Action Plan (2017-2020) launched December 1, 2017.
SLWG Terms of Reference*
Engage the University community; promote and recognize efforts to reduce material, water, and energy consumption while maximizing cost savings; improve safety and accessibility through optimizing operations, training and awareness.
- Approved by the SLWG 30 January 2015
The Sustainable Laboratory Working Group reports to the University Laboratory Safety Committee (ULSC).
- Hazardous Waste Management
- Environmental Health and Safety
- Procurement Services
- VP Research Office
- Office of Sustainability
- Utilities and Energy Management
- Teaching and Learning Services
- Office of Students for Disabilities
- Sustainability Research Groups
This notwithstanding, participation in the group is open to all – those interested should contact the christian.bouchard [at] mcgill.ca (Chair).
- Work with staff, students and faculties towards embedding sustainability considerations into laboratory processes and practice, in close collaboration with ULSC as relevant
- Support implementation of relevant actions in the Research category of McGill's Sustainability Strategy
- Submit an annual report to the ULSC based on the working group activities from September to June of current fiscal year.
- Review the “sustainability guide for researchers” on an annual basis and update as needed.
- Review the “sustainability checklist” used by EHS inspectors on an annual basis and update as needed.
- Steward the “Sustainable Laboratory Award” programme
- Support other McGill lab sustainability initiatives as relevant
- Support other McGill policies that pertain to sustainability as relevant
*as of July 20, 2017
Calendar of meetings
The SLWG meets approximately every 6 weeks. Meetings are open to all in the University community interested in contributing to the discussion. To RSVP and/or to propose agenda items, please email to the rethink [at] mcgill.ca (SLWG Steward).
- September 19, 2018
- October 31, 2018
- December 12, 2018
- February 6, 2019
- March 20, 2019
- May 1, 2019
- June 12, 2019
Time: 2:00-3:30 pm
Location: 3610 McTavish, Suite 430