The University Health and Safety Committee (UHSC) is an advisory body and is jointly comprised of individuals representing employee and student groups and responsible parties from academic and administrative units. This Committee is not, at present, required by legislated standards, and thus has the flexibility of having a broad mandate and one that is designed to address the specific needs of the University.
- The University Health & Safety Committee (the "Committee") is created by and responsible to the Vice-Principal (Administration & Finance) of McGill University (the "University");
- The Associate Director, University Safety (Environmental Health & Safety) shall serve as the Steward to the Committee;
- University Safety shall provide resource persons to the Committee;
- Meetings shall be held in open session unless the committee resolves to carry out a meeting or part of a meeting in confidential session.
The Committee shall be chaired by the Associate Vice-Principal (University Services) and shall consist of:
- one appointee from each of the following employee groups:
- McGill University Non-Academic Certified Association (MUNACA; technical staff representative);
- McGill University Non-Academic Certified Association (MUNACA; clerical/librarian staff representative);
- McGill Association of University Teachers (MAUT);
- Service Employees' Union (SEU);
- Association of Graduate Students Employed at McGill (AGSEM);
- McGill University Non-Academic Staff Association (MUNASA).
- Association of McGill University Support Employees (AMUSE)
- Association of McGill University Research Employees (AMURE)
- one appointee from each of the following student groups:
- Post-Graduate Students' Society of McGill University Inc. (PGSS);
- Students' Society of McGill University (SSMU).
- Associate Vice-Principal (Human Resources) or delegate;
- Associate Vice-Principal (Macdonald Campus) or delegate;
- Chair, University Laboratory Safety Committee, also representing the Vice-Principal (Research & International Relations);
- Dean of Graduate & Postdoctoral Studies or delegate;
- Deputy Provost (Student Life & Learning) or delegate;
- Manager, Risk Management & Insurance or delegate.
- one appointee from the following academic and administrative groups:
The committee shall advise the Associate Vice-Principal (University Services) and the Vice-Principal (Administration & Finance) on matters concerning the health and safety of the University community, including standards and policies.
Without limiting the generality of the foregoing, the Committee shall:
- Oversee the University’s Internal Responsibility System for health and safety;
- Ensure mechanisms and procedures are in place for systematic hazard identification and their correction;
- Address health and safety issues that cannot be addressed adequately by existing mechanisms;
- Identify and recommend health and safety priority areas for the purpose of safety program implementation;
- Promote health and safety in the University and affiliated teaching/research/field units and foster a community “safety culture”;
- Receive progress reports on the resolution of issues reported by and to the committee;
- Prepare an annual report of activities and health and safety concerns of the McGill community and make recommendations to the Vice-Principal (Administration & Finance);
- Develop internal standards and policies related to health and safety, including but not limited to Section 78 of the Quebec Act Respecting Occupational Health and Safety, and convey information relating to these standards and policies to the University community.
Frequency of Meetings and Calendar of Business
The Committee shall meet at least six times each year. The Committee shall have a calendar of business, maintained by Environmental Health & Safety, for the purpose of ensuring that meeting agendas address responsibilities as outlined in these terms of reference.
Review of Terms of Reference
The Committee shall review its Terms of Reference at least once every three years.
Mr. Robert Couvrette (chair)
Associate Vice-Principal (Facilities Management and Ancillary Services)
Mr. Pierre Barbarie
Director (Campus Public Safety)
Prof. Chris Buddle
Dean of Students (Student Services)
Dr. Lyle Whyte
Professor (Macdonald campus, Faculty of Agricultural & Environment)
Dr. Lorraine Chalifour
Associate Dean (Graduate and Postdoctural Studies)
Ms. Janice McGraw
Associate Director (Risk Management & Insurance)
Ms. Geneviève Leroux
Senior Disability Management Advisor (Human Resources)
Prof. Nate Quitoriano
Professor (Engineering, representing MAUT)
Ms. Annalise Patzer
Ms. Judy Dear
Manager, Human Resources (representing MUNASA)
Mr. Frank Niro
Carpenter (MNI, representing SEU)
Ms. Chantal Montreuil
Technician (Redpath Museum, representing MUNACA)
Ms. Isabelle Harvey
Research Technician (representing MUNACA)
Ms. Isabelle Gamache
Research Assistant (representing AMURE)
Ms. Catherine Lloyd
Course Instructor (representing MCLIU)
Ms. Ella Hartsoe
Mr. Kamal Mahmud
Mr. Wayne Wood
Director (Environmental Health and Safety)
Dr. Alvin Shrier
Professor (Chair of ULSC)
Agendas, Minutes & Schedule
This page is restricted to the McGill Community.
To view the committee's agendas, minutes and schedule, please use your McGill email address and password to sign in using the 'Sign in' link in the bottom right corner of this page.
A new link - Agendas, Minutes & Schedule will appear in the menu on the left side.
If you are having trouble accessing this page, please ehs [at] mcgill.ca (email Environmental Health & Safety) or phone (514) 398-4563.