Controlled Substances

Research taking place with any of controlled substances listed in the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act require an approved scientific exemption from Health Canada. If a PI intends to use controlled substances for research, EHS must be informed. A scientific exemption will be submitted on the researcher’s behalf.

For more information consult the PDF icon SOP for controlled Substances


  • EHS must be notified of any controlled substances being used for projects at McGill. Research Protocol and Animal Use Protocol copies must be provided to EHS.
  • Scientific exemption must be submitted by EHS on behalf of the PI responsible for the project.
  • All controlled substances must be stored accordingly as per there exemption quantity limit. See the Government of Canada - Directive on Physical Security Requirements for Controlled Substances and Drugs Containing Cannabis
  • Inventory must be updated accordingly before substance is purchased.
  • EHS must be contacted to destroy any unwanted or expired controlled substances email the Cannabis and Controlled Substance Officer to schedule a time.
  • The PI will immediate notify EHS of any changes to the research protocol, personnel, location, or controlled material.
  • No controlled substance shall be moved from its location.

See Forms, Tools and Resources for documentation related to controlled substances.

Back to top