The launch of our new home page will be slightly postponed. We’re sorry for this inconvenience.
What's changing (and why it's better)
The biggest change is that instead of one home page that tries to be all things to all people, we'll have three. They'll each feature customized links and content - one for Students, a second for Staff/Faculty and a third for the External Community.
At the top of each page, you'll be able to choose the home page that fits you best. For example, on the student page you may see links to exam schedules, career-planning workshops, tutoring help and other helpful resources. On the faculty/staff page, you'll see things like HR workshops, administrative policies, Teaching and Learning Services and more. And if you make one of these pages your browser's home page, you'll save a click every time you want to find the content that's most important to you.
Customized items will include:
- Menu links
- Slideshow slides
- News and events
- And just about everything else!
What else is changing?
- A lot less clutter - and a lot less text.
- Much easier access to tools like e-mail, Minerva and myMcGill.
- Links to maps and directories right on the home page.
- Lists of currently popular pages, customized for each audience.
- Better display on smartphones and widescreen monitors.
- An airier, more modern look and feel.
How your feedback built the home page:
We're thrilled about this new home page, but you deserve a lot of the credit. Last year, we asked you to help us redesign the home page by answering a short survey. A little while later, we used that data to put together a second, more detailed survey that really got into the nitty-gritty of what you want to see. All in all, your response was huge - more than 6,000 people took part from all over McGill.
Here's what you told us:
- You don't want to be bombarded with info that isn't relevant to you.
- You want easier access to tools like e-mail, Minerva and myMcGill.
- Maps and phone/e-mail directories should be easily accessible from the home page.
- For more than 80% of you, the McGill home page is usually your point of entry into McGill.ca. That means the home page matters, and we've got to get it right.
We've done our best to incorporate as much of your feedback as possible into this new design - we hope you like it!
Thanks very much for your contribution to this project. Your feedback and concerns have fed into every step of the process, and we really think we've built something that will make it easier for you to find what you're looking for (and avoid what you aren't). Stay tuned!