Operating a Fire Extinguisher
Remember the PASS method:
- Pull the pin.
- Aim the extinguisher nozzle (horn or hose) at the base of the fire.
- Squeeze or press the handle.
- Sweep from side to side at the base of the fire until it goes out. Shut off the extinguisher if necessary. Foam and water extinguishers require slightly different action (read the instructions located on the extinguisher).
Watch this video for more information on how to use a fire extinguisher.
Request Fire Extinguisher Training
Upon request by sending an email to the fireprevention [at] mcgill.ca (Fire Prevention Office), you can learn how to operate a fire extinguisher. Training includes:
- Learn the PASS method
- Classes of fire
- How to identify types of extinguishers
- Best practices
- Purchasing, storing, locating, replacing and maintaining extinguishers
Training lasts about 30 minutes and is free of charge.