Access Control

In order to ensure the safety across campus, Campus Public Safety offers many different services, including security devices and special access for restricted areas of campus.

Area Access Managers

An Area Access Manager (or AAM) is a designated person within a department or faculty responsible for managing its card reader(s) by assigning and removing cardholder access to their areas and establishing and modifying card reader settings. AAMs receive specific training from Security Services.

Find the AAM for an area you require access to.

Requests forms

Please LOGIN first in order to submit forms. You need to be an Access Area Manager (Consult AAM User Guide for instructions) to access the following.

*Please note: The Help Desk requires 4 business days to process a request. Requests that do not respect the 4 day policy may not be processed on time. 

McGill ID Cards

Employees and students should carry identification cards at all times. Security Services personnel have the right to request the presentation of identification cards from anyone on University premises and may deny access to or require that any person unable to produce an identity card leave certain University premises. Consult the General Access Protocol for more information.

For faculty and staff

Visit the HR website for information on how to obtain a new or replacement McGill ID Card.

For students

Visit the Student Records website for information on how to obtain a new or replacement McGill ID Card. Learn more about McGill ID Cards for students registered for courses at the School of Continuing Studies.

For temporary employees and visitors

Blank proximity cards (no photo) are available via your Area Access Manager.  For guidance on their employment, please refer to Blank Access Cards - Terms and Conditions of Use.

McGill service providers

Long-term contracts or permanently assigned to McGill require a McGill Service Provider ID Card. Get information on how to obtain a MSP ID Card.


Medeco is a high security lock and key system. Medeco keys are requested through the Facilities Call Centre (FCC).

Need Key Access to Roofs, Mechanical, Electrical, Elevator and/or Telecom Rooms?

Complete this form and return to NCS or FOD.

Questions or concerns? Can't find what you're looking for? Contact the [at] (Help Desk)*

Back to top