McGill University and Alimentation Couche-Tard launch unique laboratory store to propel retail industry and customers into the future
Partnering with Alimentation Couche-Tard Inc., the new retail innovation lab at McGill’s Bensadoun School of Retail Management will enable ground-breaking research and test innovations, including frictionless technologies
Charles de Brabant, Executive Director of the Bensadoun School of Retail Management, is optimistic about the future of retail following a horrendous year for most Canadian retailers. Giants like Amazon and Walmart, who account for 20% of the retail market, still generated profits in 2020, but the remaining 80% fared so poorly that they brought overall industry profits down by 93%.
As social distancing measures remain in replace across Canada, consumers are flocking to buy automated food and drink kiosks for fresh, made-to-order food and beverages with little to no human contact.
Professor Saibal Ray, Academic Director of the Bensadoun School of Retail Management, describes the daunting complexity involved in ramping up the first round of COVID-19 vaccine production.
Only 30 percent of Canada’s small business are hitting normal sales numbers as the second wave of the pandemic crashes into their bottom line. According to Professor Yu Ma, Academic Director of the Master of Management in Retailing, nothing short of digital transformation will equip these businesses to survive.
The Chamber of Commerce of Metropolitan Montreal hosted a Strategic Forum of Retail Trade with the goal to highlight how the COVID-19 crisis is shaking up the Quebec retail sector. This forum allowed key players in retail to take stock of the current transformations and consider courses of action to innovate and relaunch the retail trade in a sustainable manner.
Historically, December yields the largest profits for retailers, who are accustomed to ramping up their year-end operations to keep pace with the hustle and bustle of holiday shopping. This December, however, is a different story.
As the recent surge of the COVID-19 pandemic forces businesses across Canada to close their doors once again, retailers must adapt to survive.
The second wave of the COVID-19 pandemic has forced thousands of retailers across Canada to shut their doors during the holiday season. Some will never open them again. Anwar White, Program Director, Master of Management in Retailing, puts the struggle that retailers are facing into context and points to a silver lining.
Anwar White, Program Director of the Master of Management in Retailing, weighs in on current shopping trends in Quebec as the COVID-19 pandemic casts a shadow over the holiday season. From a growing trend toward e-commerce to in-store pickup, shoppers seek a balance between health concerns and convenience as they adapt their holiday plans to a new reality.
Professor Saibal Ray weighs in on the strategies that will propel retailers to success in a post-pandemic landscape where the optimal customer experience is a frictionless experience. As the academic director of the Bensadoun School of Retail Management, Prof.
Are malls on their way out? Charles de Brabant, the Executive Director of the Bensadoun School of Retail Management, joins the debate about the future of the traditional shopping centre in a rapidly evolving retail landscape.
The Desautels Faculty of Management congratulates Elliot Lifson, C.M., Professor of Practice in the Strategy and Organization area, on his appointment to the prestigious Order of Canada for his extraordinary contributions to the Canadian apparel industry and service to the greater community. Prof. Lifson, who joined the Desautels Faculty in 2005, serves as the Vice-Chairman of Vêtements Peerless Clothing Inc.
As the pandemic continues to strain local businesses, a greater percentage of Quebecers has stepped in to keep them afloat. Charles de Brabant, Executive Director of the McGill University Bensadoun School of Retail Management, weighs in on what to expect from shoppers this holiday season.