There are several policies/regulations which document when it is appropriate for a Fund Financial Manager (FFM), Principal Investigator (PI), or Unit Head to delegate their signing authority and/or approval authority:
- Fund Financial Manager Regulation
- Reimbursement of Expenses
- Payment Request Regulation
- Financial Approvals of Purchase Requisitions
- Research Administration Roles and Responsibilities
- HR Procedures for POPS (sign-in is required)
For Tri-Agency grants (NSERC, CIHR, SSHRC, CRC), please note the following:
As stipulated by the Tri-Agency, the grantee is responsible for authorizing expenditures from his/her grant account in accordance with the Agency's requirements and conditions of grants and with the institution's policies. No other party may initiate or authorize expenditures from an Agency's grant account without the grantee's written delegated authority.
The associated forms/Minerva menu option which should be used to delegate such authority are:
- Delegate Temporary Signing Authority for travel advances, expense reports, payment requests, and POPS Timesheets - Minerva menu option (sign-in is required) [How To - KB article]
- Naming a Delegate in an Acting Capacity as Unit Head during temporary absences - Financial Services website form (listed under "Other Forms")
- Delegate Approvals of Purchase Requisitions and PCard Transactions - Minerva menu option (sign-in is required) [How To - KB article]
More information about Approvals - Approvers, Electronic Approvals, Signing Authority, and Approval Paths for "finance" transactions is available in the Knowledge Base.
Read the following Memorandum & Announcements:
- September 26, 2016 Memorandum from Morty Yalovsky, Interim Vice-Principal, Administration and Finance, and Rose Goldstein, Vice-Principal, Research and Innovation about Tri-Agency Monitoring Site Visit 2016 Results - channels news | PDF version.
- November 19, 2015 announcement from Tinmouth, Interim Associate Vice-Principal Financial Services and Controller about Approval of PCard transactions in MOPS - upcoming change in process - channels news.
- May 5, 2014 Memorandum from Rose Goldstein and Michael Di Grappa about New requirements for research funds: authorization of expenses by PIs and record retention - channels news | PDF version.
- December 4, 2013 announcement from Cristiane Tinmouth, Controller, Financial Services and Alison Verkade, Director Service Centre, Human Resources about POPS Timesheets now available on Minerva Delegate Temporary Signing Authority Menu - channels news.
- May 9, 2013 announcement from Cristiane Tinmouth, Controller, Financial Services about Delegation of Temporary Signing Authority Procedures For All Fund Financial Managers - channels news.
- May 6, 2013 Memorandum from Rose Goldstein and Michael Di Grappa about Research Administration and Accountability – Tri-Agency Recommendations - NEW DELEGATION MENU - channels news | PDF version.