Promotion to Full Professor and to Full Librarian may be considered at the following times and using the following methods of initiation:
- With a staff member's consent, a Departmental Chair may, at any time, recommend the staff member to the Departmental/Librarian Promotion Committee for consideration for promotion to the rank of Professor or Full Librarian.
- A staff member who has held the rank of Associate Professor for a minimum of 5 years may, at any time, request the Departmental Promotion Committee for consideration for promotion to the rank of Full Professor.
- A staff member who has held the rank of Associate Librarian for a minimum of 3 years, may, at any time, notify the chair of the Promotions Committee and the Dean of Libraries.
- A staff member who has held the rank of Associate Professor or Associate Librarian for a minimum of 10 years and who reasonably believes that the Departmental Promotion Committee may not be the appropriate body to consider his or her case for promotion may apply once to the Principal for consideration by a Statutory Selection Committee (process initiated by the candidate after 10 years).
Source: Sections 8.1-8.3 of the Regulations Relating to the Employment of Tenure Track and Tenured Academic Staff and Sections 4.6.10-4.8.9 of the Regulations Relating to the Employment of Librarian Staff.
About the SSC Process
The Statutory Selection Committee (SSC) considers the Promotion dossier either after review and positive recommendation by the candidate's home department(s) and Faculty, or after the process is initiated by the candidate under the process initiated by the candidate after 10 years. The SSC meets throughout the year and dossiers may be submitted at any time.
The SSC will make all positive recommendations for promotion to full professor/librarian to the Board of Governors. Board approval of a promotion is followed by a letter to the promotion applicant communicating the grant of the promotion.
Composition of the SSC
- In accordance with section 3.4.3 of the University Statutes, before recommending an appointment to the rank of Full Professor or full librarian, the Principal must first have consulted a committee consisting of two governors selected by the Chair of the Board, two vice-principals, the dean of any faculty in which the appointment is to be made, or, in the case of appointment to the rank of full librarian, the Director of Libraries, and two members selected by the Senate; and such other members as the Principal may see fit.
- A listing of Senate representatives that serve on Statutory Selection Committees is available here.
Preparation for Submission to SSC
Candidates and promotion committees should be familiar with the following regulations, guidelines and tools.
- The content of the submission is described in the Regulations Relating to the Employment of Tenure Track and Tenured Academic Staff
- Guidelines for Promotion to Full Professor
- List of External Evaluators
Annual Promotion Information Session
The 2020-2021 Information Session for Promotion (Full Professor) was held on January 27, 3:30- 5:00 PM, via Zoom.
The recording below can be accessed here.
Archived Information Sessions about Promotion can be accessed here.