McGill wins SPLC Outstanding Case Study Award! Please refer to this McGill SPLC Case Study Submission
Vision Statement developed by the Procurement Sustainability Core Team
Procurement plays a central role as a strategic partner, is empowered, and is provided with the resources to promote and lead the way in establishing a culture of sustainable procurement practices at McGill and in its wider community.
About sustainable procurement
Universities purchase a broad range of different goods and services and in vast quantities. The production, the transportation, the use and end-of-life management of these goods generate considerable economic, social and environmental impacts which need to be considered and managed throughout the supply chain process.
McGill Procurement Services recognizes the importance of working with the McGill end-users and the broader community for steering purchasing related activities towards greater sustainability - this has led to many tangible actions and initiatives:
- The inclusion of Sustainability as a fundamental principle in the University’s Procurement Policy.
- The creation of a permanent Inter-Departmental Sustainable Procurement Core Team.
- The development of a 5-Year Sustainable Procurement Strategic Plan.
- Creation of the Project Manager for Sustainable Procurement role.
- The active participation of procurement staff in McGill’s Vision 2020 mobilisation.
- The collaborative work with many projects financed by the Sustainability Project Fund.
- The adoption of new policies and procedures for the sound management of used and end-of-life electronic equipment.
- Continuous collaboration with McGill’s Sustainability Office to benchmark best practices in sustainable procurement.
- The active participation of procurement staff in sustainability training and workshop activities along with other universities’ procurement staff and external associations promoting sustainable procurement initiatives.
- The planning and development of “living-lab” projects whereby Applied Student Research contributes to Procurement Services’ sustainability initiatives.