Second Degree

You are considered a second degree student if you have completed a previous degree at McGill University, if you completed an undergraduate degree at another recognized university/institution or if, during an interruption of McGill studies, you completed an undergraduate degree at another recognized university/institution.

Applications for a second degree in the Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) and questions about eligibility and program choices (based on the program(s) you completed in your previous undergraduate degree) must be made directly to McGill University, Enrolment Services. Please go to for more information.

Please note that students may not be admitted to a second Bachelor degree in the same discipline.

Transfer Credit

Second degree students must complete 60 credits at McGill University while registered as a Bachelor of Arts student. Credits that you have completed for your first undergraduate degree may not be applied towards the 60 McGill credits needed to complete your second undergraduate degree.

While you cannot receive credits for courses already taken in your previous degree, you may receive course exemptions for courses you passed with a grade of C or better and that have been evaluated as equivalent to a McGill course.

  • Please see your departmental program advisor regarding courses you have previously taken that might exempt you from one or more program requirement(s).
  • In cases where a course exemption is approved, these credits will have to be replaced by an approved substitute course taken at McGill.

Please note that the Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) from your first undergraduate degree will not be calculated into the CGPA of your second undergraduate degree. You can find further information concerning GPA calculation here.

Second Degree BA Requirements

The multi-track system requires that students complete a Major Concentration (36 credits), with at least a Minor Concentration (18 credits).

  • Second degree students are permitted to complete a Major Concentration and a Minor Concentration in the same academic unit.
  • Second degree students pursuing an Honours or Faculty Program in the Faculty of Arts are not required to complete a Minor Concentration.
  • Please see general degree requirements and the Degree Planning Guide for more information.


You are strongly advised to meet with your departmental program advisors to discuss your course selection and possible course exemptions for your major/minor/Honours programs before the Add/Drop deadlines in the Fall and Winter terms. Your departmental advisors will ensure that you are on track to complete your program requirements and will approve your course selection for each semester.

How can you contact your departmental program advisors?

  • Many advisors will have drop-in or office hours scheduled that you can simply show up to.
  • If not, you can email your departmental advisor directly to schedule an appointment.

You are also encouraged to meet with a Faculty Advisor in Arts OASIS upon beginning your B.A. degree. A Faculty Advisor will ensure that you are meeting the overall general degree requirements of your 60 credit B.A. degree.

How can you contact a Faculty Advisor in OASIS?

Back to top