The MIMM Undergraduate Research Award (MURA) was established to recognize the outstanding contributions to research made by undergraduate students completing a B.Sc. in Microbiology & Immunology.
To be eligible, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Must be in year U2 or U3 and registered in the MIMM Major program or MIMM Honours program.
- Must be enrolled full-time or part-time in the 2022-2023 academic year.
- Must have completed or are currently enrolled in at least one of the following research courses: MIMM 396/397, MIMM496/497, MIMM501/502 or PHGY419 D1/D2.
Applicants will need to prepare an application containing the following components. For items 3-4, the following rating form should be used:
- Personal statement (1-page-max) and CV (2-pages-max) outlining contributions to the field of microbiology or immunology research. This can include but is not limited to conferences attended, poster/speaking presentations, research awards/funding, publications, and other research related activities.
- Copy of unofficial transcript - include the current term, even if grades are not available.
- A reference letter and a rating form completed by your McGill research supervisor or principal investigator.
- A rating form completed by another McGill faculty member, graduate student/postdoctoral fellow, or TA who you have worked with directly.
All applications will be evaluated based on the following criteria by the MIMM Undergraduate Committee:
- Research achievements and activities (accounts for 50%)
- Future research potential (accounts for 20%)
- Research engagement outside of the credited research project (accounts for 20%)
- Student academic achievements (accounts for 10%)
How to Apply:
- Students can apply via the MIMM Undergraduate Research Award Form available in February 2024.
- Applicants must complete and upload their personal statement, CV and unofficial transcript to the MIMM Undergraduate Research Award Form (in a single PDF).
- Reference letters and rating forms should be emailed directly by referees to undergrad.microimm [at] mcgill.ca using the following subject line: Name of Applicant, Reference for MURA Application.
- Notification will be sent to applicants by mid-March. Successful applicants have the opportunity to accept their award at the annual MIMM Student Gala.