Visitors, including friends, family, lecturers and conference attendees, can sign into McGill's guest WiFi network to access the Internet for a 24-hour period. After 24 hours, you may reconnect using the same method.
The guest.mcgill.ca network does not provide access McGill resources; if you require additional access, such as access to departmental shared drives, you will need to have a McGill faculty or staff member request a sponsored guest account.
How to connect to the guest wifi
The screenshots below were taken from a laptop; however, the process is the same on all mobile devices.
- Go to your device's WiFi settings and select the guest.mcgill.ca network from the list of available networks.
NOTE: If you are not automatically redirected to the Guest WiFi page, shown below, open your browser and go to a website such as http://CBC.ca ; doing this should redirect you to the Guest WiFi page.
- Then you will be able to choose one of two methods to sign in:
- Method 1: Register to receive a temporary username and password (requires your email address)
- Method 2: Sign in with your credentials from a social media account (Facebook, Twitter or LinkedIn)
Steps to register for guest credentials (valid for 24 hours)
- After you click Register, you are prompted to enter your name, email address and other optional information.
NOTE: you cannot use a McGill email address here; if you have a McGill email address (@mcgill.ca or @mail.mcgill.ca) and password, you should sign into the secure wpa.mcgill.ca wireless network.
- Enter the Security Code you see displayed on screen. If you can’t read it, click the refresh button to see a different code, or the speaker button to say the letters.
- Click Register. You will see the username and password needed to sign into the guest WiFi account. You will also receive this information by email.
- Click Log In.
Note that you are not prompted to enter the username and password the first time you sign in, but if you disconnect, you may use these credentials to sign in any time within the 24-hour period. After 24 hours, you will need to register again.
You should now be connected to the guest WiFi.