Please visit our COVID-19 page for the latest news, resources, and FAQs.

COVID-19 Updates from International Student Services
International students with a valid study permit or study permit approval letter can now travel to Canada as long as they are registered at a designated learning institution (DLI) with an approved COVID-19 readiness plan. McGill is one of the institutions on the list of DLIs with an approved COVID-19 readiness plan. Students travelling to Canada will need to have a self-quarantine plan to ensure that they can self-isolate for 14 days after arrival.

Please visit our COVID-19 page for additional news, resources, and FAQs.

Work FAQs - COVID-19

Please review the official government resources before reviewing the FAQs. Many answers to your questions can be found on Immigration Canada's and Immigration Quebec's websites.

I am starting a program in the Fall 2020 or Winter 2021 term and my courses are proceeding remotely (online) due to COVID-19. Am I still eligible for the post-graduation work permit (PGWP)?

Normally, time spent studying outside of Canada is deducted from the length of the PGWP and only online courses completed from within Canada (less than 50% of your program) can count towards the total length of the program when determining the length of the PGWP.

However, as a response to the COVID-19 situation, IRCC has announced a series of facilitative measures that allow students who were forced to begin a new program online or complete their studies online to maintain their post-graduation work permit eligibility.

These facilitative measures include the following:

  • Students can study online from abroad until April 30, 2021, without affecting their eligibility or the length of a future post-graduation work permit, provided they are able to complete at least 50% of their program in Canada*.
  • Students enrolled in programs between 8 and 12 months in length that started during the spring, summer or fall terms (from May to September) of 2020 will be able to apply for a post-graduation work permit if they complete their entire program outside of Canada*.
  • Students enrolled in a program with a start date from May to September 2020 who study online up to April 30, 2021, and who graduate from more than one eligible program of study, may be able to combine the length of their programs of study when they apply for a post-graduation work permit in the future, as long as 50% of their total studies are completed in Canada*.

Students already in Canada for the winter, spring and summer terms were assured that they wouldn’t lose their eligibility for a post-graduation work permit if they were forced to complete more than 50% of their program online, reduce their studies to part-time or take a break from their studies completely as a result of restrictions on classroom learning due to the pandemic.

*In order to be eligible for these facilitative measures students must have submitted a study permit application before the start of their program for programs that began in Summer 2020, in Fall 2020 or in Winter 2021 and eventually have their study permit application approved.

For more information on the new facilitative measures see IRCC's COVID-19 webpage for International Students, IRCC's Facilitative measures to support international students affected by the COVID-19 pandemic, IRCC’s news release on post-graduation work permit eligibility and IRCC's Study Permit: COVID-19 program delivery webpage. For general information about the PGWP, see IRCC’s PGWP Program website.

I am applying for my PGWP, but due to COVID-19 I cannot obtain my printed official transcript. What should I do?

Service Point is not able to provide printed official transcripts at this time due to the COVID-19 related campus closure. If McGill is still not able to provide printed official transcripts at the time you are trying to apply for your PGWP, we are recommending that you include all of the following documents with your application instead of your printed official transcript:

  1. A cover letter explaining that you are providing your electronic official transcript (eTranscript) instead of a scanned copy of the printed official transcript. You can mention that the electronic version of the official transcript is the only version available since the Registrar’s Office is closed to the public due to COVID-19 and is, therefore, not issuing printed official transcripts. NOTE: It is possible that the "COPY" watermark will appear on the eTranscript when you combine the eTranscript with other documents into one PDF, when you save the eTranscript to your computer, and/or when the immigration agent opens the file. You should mention this possibility in your cover letter and also ensure that you view/save your eTranscript according to the instructions provided by the National Student Clearinghouse when you order your eTranscript. 
  2. A copy of your official eTranscript (order an electronic official transcript)
  3. A copy of McGill’s Student Records webpage confirming that printed official transcripts are currently not available

You can create one pdf document with all the items above and upload the document in the “Transcript” section of your Document Checklist.

If McGill starts issuing printed official transcripts and your PGWP application is still processing, you can order the printed official transcript and send it to Immigration Canada via the IRCC Web Form with a brief explanation for the delay and a request to have the transcript join your pending PGWP application.

I don't have a Social Insurance Number and Service Canada Offices are closed. How can I get one?

Service Canada is now processing SINs online. Please visit the Service Canada website to apply online.

How many hours can I work as an international student during an academic term?

Full-time students are authorized to work in Canada full-time on-campus and part-time off-campus (up to a maximum of 20hrs per week) during an academic term. Exceptionally, students who are part-time in their final term but have been full-time in every previous term are authorized to work full-time on-campus and part-time off campus in their final academic term before graduating.

I am currently outside of Canada. How many hours can I work while I am outside of Canada?

If you are outside of Canada, you are not restricted to the limits defined by Canadian immigration regulations regarding on-campus and off-campus work. You must, however, respect the allowable hours of work in the country where you are currently residing.

I'm about to complete my program. Can I work after the end of my final semester of studies?

It depends. If you were enrolled full-time in every term except your last term, you can continue to work full-time on campus and/or part-time off-campus (maximum of 20 hours per week) after the end of your final semester until the first date you receive written confirmation from McGill that you have complete your program. Once you receive written proof of program completion, you must then stop all work activity – whether or not this work is paid or unpaid.

You can start working full-time on campus and/or off-campus:

  • After you have obtained your PGWP; or
  • As soon as you have submitted on online PGWP application as long as you meet certain conditions. These conditions include holding a valid study permit at the time of application, having been full-time throughout your studies, with the exception of your final term of studies, and having respected the allowable hours of work during your studies.

I will be applying for my Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) while under implied status. Can I work in Canada while my application is processing?

Some students are currently in implied status as they wait for a decision on their study permit extension applications.

If you apply for your PGWP while under implied status, you are not currently authorized to work while the PGWP application is processing – even if you otherwise meet the conditions to work after you submit a PGWP application. If this information changes in the coming weeks, we will update our website accordingly.

Back to top