The historical links between McGill University and the University of Glasgow go back to 1756, when McGill founder, James McGill, was a student at the University of Glasgow. Over the years, the connections between the universities have been strengthened through a shared commitment to the internationalization of education, expressed through a host of research collaborations and student exchanges.
In recognition of this historic partnership, and the Glasgow Honorary Doctorate given to the former McGill Principal and Vice-Chancellor, Professor Suzanne Fortier, in 2015, McGill will support the short-term mobility of PhD students and postdocs in any discipline seeking to initiate or strengthen research ties with the University of Glasgow.
McGill will cover up to 50% of eligible costs related to travel and accommodation, up to a maximum of $5,000 for McGill PhD students or postdocs selected under this program.
Applications must be submitted by January 16, 2023 to fundingapplications.gps [at] mcgill.ca
All registered PhD students and postdocs in any discipline at McGill are eligible to apply for the travel award to the University of Glasgow.
Applicants must submit:
- A one-page statement of purpose indicating how the award would support their research and the length of time they wish to spend at the University of Glasgow. The letter must also indicate the faculty members at the University of Glasgow that they plan to work with during their stay;
- CV of the applicant;
- One letter of support/recommendation from a McGill supervisor;
- One letter of support/recommendation from a University of Glasgow supervisor;
- A budget for the activity:
- The budget must indicate how the remaining 50% of travel and accommodation fees will be covered.
- PhD students may be eligible for the Graduate Mobility Award as well.
- Additional documents:
- Screenshot of Travel Registry (if not yet available, one must be submitted before payment can be released). Instructions on how to complete the travel registry are available here for doctoral students and here for postdocs.
- Certificate of completion of pre-departure orientation (if not yet available, one must be submitted before payment can be released).
Applications must be submitted to fundingapplications.gps [at] mcgill.ca by the deadline.
McGill will conduct an internal selection process to identify the most appropriate candidates for this award.
Any questions should be directed to graduatefunding.gps [at] mcgill.ca.