Launch your Career in Global Health with our online Global Health Career Readiness Workshop Series!
McGill Global Health Programs is pleased to partner with ThriveHire to offer an online Career Readiness Workshop Series to help McGill students learn tangible ways to translate their skills, experiences and knowledge into global health job opportunities.
The learning objective is to equip students with knowledge and resources to feel better prepared to transition into the global health workforce, and learn to effectively navigate their careers once they get there.
The program will entail three online sessions: two workshops (accompanied with materials and hands-on activities) covering various career topics, and a final networking event. Students will learn about current hiring trends, different career pathways in global public health, practical and ethical considerations in career development, salary considerations, approaches to working locally and globally, and more.
Students who attend all three sessions will earn a certificate of completion that will be documented on McGill's Co-Curricular Record (CCR) and the opportunity to enter a draw to win a free, professional CV review by ThriveHire!
This online career readiness program is for:
- Current McGill master and/or undergraduate students who are registered in a degree program focused on health (i.e. public health, health sciences) and/or international development.
- Current McGill master and/or undergraduate students with an interest in the global health field.
Workshop Session Information
Workshop Session 1: Building your global health career (Registration Closed)
- Date & Time: Thursday, October 7, 2021 from 12:00 PM to 1:00 PM EST
- This workshop will include current hiring trends, understanding career paths in the global public health and international development arenas, and tips to networking and finding mentors.
Workshop Session 2: Practical challenges and considerations for global health career development
- Date & Time: Thursday, November 11, 2021 from 12:00 PM to 1:00 PM EST
- This workshop will include ethical dimensions to different work opportunities and how to vet for these when searching and applying to jobs, salary considerations, approaches to working locally and/or internationally, and our roles in dismantling discrimination and structural violence in global public health and international development.
Networking Event Session 3: Moderated panel discussion with global health professionals
- Date & Time: Thursday, January 13, 2022 from 12:00 PM to 2:00 PM EST
- This final event will feature a moderated panel discussion with global health professionals from different work environments. These individuals will speak about their career paths and lessons learned to date. This will be followed by a short Q&A session and break-out sessions where you’ll have the opportunity to directly meet and network with the speakers.
- To register, please complete the form below. Students must sign in using their McGill student credentials.
- Students are encouraged to register for all three sessions in the series.
- Event details and Zoom meeting links will be sent to registrants by email prior to each session.
- This program is exclusively available to McGill students. Please do not share the links to ensure the best experience for participants.
ThriveHire is a leading career and community platform for the Global Health industry. By featuring curated organizations, jobs, internships and more, ThriveHire is a one-stop-shop to launching and developing global health careers.
Meet the Facilitators:
Hayley Mundeva is the Founder/CEO of ThriveHire, an online career platform for Global Health. Before this, Hayley worked on global health projects in Tanzania, Malawi, Rwanda and Ethiopia. She has 2 degrees in Global Health and is a certified trainer in social entrepreneurship.
Annalise Mathers is ThriveHire's Operations Officer and spearheads event development and partnership outreach. Before this, she has worked in the fields of pharmacy and medication management, health ethics, substance use, and occupational health and safety.
If you have any questions or comments on services available through ThriveHire, please email Hayley Mundeva hmundeva [at] thrivehire.org and Annalise Mathers amathers [at] thrivehire.org directly.
Please direct all general inquires for this program to McGill Global Health Programs at studentaffairsghp.med [at] mcgill.ca