The policies, regulations and procedures of the Radiation Safety Program apply to all activities involving the use, storage, transportation and disposal of radioisotopes in the buildings or grounds of McGill University. As such, the EHS provides services and programs to all users of radioisotopes or radiation emitting equipment.
The McGill Radiation Safety Program provides several services and programs to all users of radioisotopes or radiation-emitting equipment, including:
- Radiation safety training
- Laboratory inspections
- Leak tests
- Calibration of radiation survey meters.This services is offered free of charge to McGill researchers in June and November of each year, however, outside of these calibration periods, researchers will be charged for the work.
- Thyroid monitoring
- Radiation safety services
- Workplace Surveys for Pregnant Radiation Workers
- Decommissioning of radioisotope laboratory facilities
- Assistance on radioactive waste disposal
- Providing information on all radiation matters