Cost and Financial Assistance

Information about tuition and non-tuition charges and other important information can be found on the Student Accounts website.

Economics Department

Financial assistance from the Department most often comes in the form of a teaching or research assistantship. Every year a few outstanding applicants are awarded scholarships by the Faculty of Arts or Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies. Unfortunately, neither the University nor most external granting agencies provide financial support for Qualifying Year students.

For Canadians

The Social Science and Humanities Research Council of Canada (SSHRC) provides both master’s and doctoral funding to Canadian students on a competitive basis. If you are eligible, please apply. The deadline for applications varies depending on your current or most recent university attended.The Fonds de recherche du Québec sur la société et la culture (FQRSC) provides master’s and doctoral funding for Québec residents.

For Non-Canadians

Non-Canadian students can draw on a wide variety of fellowships and other forms of assistance. First and foremost, you should check with your home country's government, as there may be funding opportunities for students who want to study abroad.  Several large, multidisciplinary programs fund study in Canada by students from abroad. These include the Canadian Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship Program; the Government of Canada Awards to Foreign Nationals; and the Technical Assistance Scholarships and Fellowships and Canadian Fellowship Program for French-Speaking Countries, funded by the Canadian International Development Agency (CIDA). You must apply for assistance under these programs through your home country’s government, usually via the Ministry of Education. Applications sent by individuals directly to Canada are not considered.


The Fellowships and Awards Section of the Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies Office provides information on many sources of support for Canadian and non-Canadian students, both new to McGill University and continuing. Further information on these and other sources of funding can be found in the Graduate Fellowships and Awards Calendar and on the GPS website. Graduate Postdoctoral Studies can also be reached by email at graduatefunding.gps [at]

International fee waiver

Every year a limited number of students from countries or regions that have signed a tuition fee agreement with the Province of Quebec may be exempted from the higher tuition fees normally required of students from foreign countries. For further information visit the Quebec Ministry of Education, Leisure and Sports (MELS) website. Here is a list of the countries or regions that have a signed tuition fee agreement. You must apply to your home country government, usually the Ministry of Education, which makes an official recommendation for students to be exempted from higher fees.

Additional information

More about financial assistance available to international graduate students can be found on the UNESCO website.

 Japan IMF Scholarship program

Back to top