International Students

If you are not a citizen or Permanent Resident of Canada, you must obtain the necessary visa and/or Study Permit before entering Canada. Do not leave home without these documents. It is not possible to change your status from Visitor to Study Permit once you are in Canada.

Certificate of Acceptance from Quebec (CAQ)

Coming to Canada begins with an application for a Certificate of Acceptance from the Government of the Province of Quebec. There is a processing fee for this document.

Study Permit

This document is issued by Canadian immigration through a Canadian embassy or consulate and is subject to a processing fee. Please note that citizens of the United States, Greenland and/or St. Pierre-Miquelon who are in possession of the CAQ may obtain the study permit at a Port of Entry to Canada.

Health Insurance

If you are not a citizen or permanent resident of Canada, you must participate in the health insurance plan administered by the University. All inquiries related to this University policy must be directed to the International Student Services office (tel.: 514-398-6012; email: [at]

International Degree Equivalency

If you are not sure if your degree meets the admissions requirements, see the educational credentials and grade equivalencies that are required for masters and doctoral admissions.

Back to top