ON YOUR CELL PHONE
Push Notifications through the McGill App!*
Faculty and Staff profiles are being finalized by the app developers, so for now register as a VISITOR in order to receive emergency alerts.
More about the McGill app
The McGill App is the official campus app for current, new, and prospective McGill University students. Access McGill University events, calendars, contacts, maps and more. Stay organized with your classes and assignments through the timetable. The McGill App brings McGill services to your fingertip and enables you to connect with your classmates and friends.
NOTE : In order to receive emergency alerts from the McGill App, you must allow push notifications at the OS (Operating System) level. All other message notifications can be managed via the app-level settings.
Receive (SMS) Text Messages
Attention! We need your number. In order to receive messages to your mobile
device, you must subscribe on Minerva. See below for more details.
Tip: Add McGill | Attention!’s phone number, 514-398-8700, to your contacts to quickly identify who is calling and not miss an important message.
Log into Minerva, go to the Personal Menu > Mobile Device form, enter your mobile phone number and opt-in.
- Receive alerts that may affect your health or safety
- Rapid delivery of voice and text messages
- Voice messages to staff, classroom and mobile phones
- Text messages to mobile phones
We anticipate up to two campus-wide tests per calendar year. Otherwise, we cannot predict how many actual events will warrant the use of the service.
More information on McGill | Attention! can be found in the IT Knowledge Base.
To opt in your mobile device(s) to McGill | Attention!, log in to Minerva and select the Personal Menu > Mobile Devices option.
McGill University does not charge for this service but, depending on your mobile device plan, you may be charged a fee for airtime or delivery of message.
Students and staff members who subscribed to the Automatic Notice System (ANS) prior to September 1, 2011, now need to return to the Minerva opt-in form to validate and update certain information. The opt-in form is accessed via Minerva – Personal – Mobile Device.
Please take note of the following and follow the guidelines:
- Only 1 mobile device number may be opted-in to the service. If you have opted-in more than 1 number, by default only the first number entered was transferred to the new ANS database.
- You must indicate your service provider (Bell, Rogers, Virgin Mobile, etc.…) by selecting it from the drop down menu. If your service provider is not among the providers listed, select OTHER and manually enter the name of the provider.
- Once the service provider has been entered, you will be informed of what type of notification you will receive (text or voicemail), depending on whether the service provider is supported by the ANS for the reception of SMS messages. If the provider is not supported, you will receive a voice message rather than an SMS.
- Please review all numbers appearing, and correct or delete any invalid entries.
Once all the information has been updated, simply confirm that the information is correct and click SUBMIT.
ON YOUR COMPUTER
Receive an Alert Notification on Your Computer*
Alertus software must be installed on your computer in order to receive full-screen alert notification messages on desktops and laptops as part of McGill | Attention!
What is Alertus?
In the event of an emergency or urgent situation, Alertus will send a pop-up announcement directly to your computer. Once you’ve seen it, you can acknowledge you've received this alert and close the window. After which, you can continue using your computer normally.
To download and install Alertus software, visit the McGill IT Knowledge Base. ***Note that all McGill computers already have this software installed.