McGill offers a non-thesis graduate program in the field of biotechnology, a Master of Science (Applied) in Biotechnology of 45 credits, which is completed in 16 months. The program is coordinated by the Institute of Parasitology on the Macdonald Campus of McGill University.
The M.Sc.A. program has a limited enrolment and admission is therefore competitive.
Courses are offered on either one of the McGill campuses depending of the offering Faculty. Courses from the Faculty of Medicine or Science are offered on the downtown campus, and the Faculty of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences courses are offered on the Macdonald Campus. A shuttle bus connecting both campuses facilitates student's travelling.
If you are looking for a traditional Thesis Master of Science program, other McGill academic units are involved in research in fields associated with biotechnology. For more information, go to the Graduate Admission page.
Master of Science (Applied)
The program provides training in a rapidly evolving field that has become an integral component in the thinking and methodology of many science disciplines. It is addressed to students, with an undergraduate degree in biological sciences or closely related fields, who are interested in industrial/pharmaceutical research.
- To give students considerable hands-on experience
- To familiarize students with the latest techniques in molecular biology and proteomics
- To introduce students to aspects of management and business in the biotech industry
- To develop data mining skills
- To develop communication and teamwork skills
- To introduce students to issues in ethics in biotechnology
- Completed in 16 months
- Non-thesis master's program
- Research project experience on well-defined objectives
- Management and industry ethics seminars
- Close involvement with experts from the biotech industry
- Hands-on experience in proteomics, molecular biology, genetic manipulation and bioinformatics
- Wide selection of elective courses allows students to streamline their program within the broad field of biotechnology