WELCOME U1's — Come to Orientation on:
Wednesday, August 29, 2018 at 1:00 PM in Room 1034
McIntyre Medical Sciences Building
All students completing a Freshman program at McGill who plan to register in Biochemistry will be able to schedule an advising appointment (if needed) withcarmen.paezmendoza [at] mcgill.ca ( )carmen.paezmendoza [at] mcgill.ca (Carmen Aimee)carmen.paezmendoza [at] mcgill.ca ( )at the Department Orientation.
You can find the presentation of orientation here Orientation 2018
Here is an what your class schedule might look like as an U1:
|BIOL 200 (Required)||3||BIOC 212 (Required)||
|CHEM 204 (Required)||3||BIOC 220 (Required)||3|
|CHEM 212 (Required)||4||BIOL 202 (Required)||3|
|PHGY 209 (Complementary)||3||CHEM 222 (Required)||
|* Elective||3||PHGY 210 (Complementary)||3|
*Can take U2 Complementary Course
(Please remember that this schedule can be revised before the ADD/DROP period)
For any questions concerning your undergraduate studies in Biochemistry, you are invited to meet with Carmen Aimee (Room 905A, McIntyre Building) duiring the advising drop-in hours listed below.
If you are not available during these times, please email carmen.paezmendoza [at] mcgill.ca (subject: Advising%20Appointment%20) (Carmen Aimee) including your McGill ID number for an appointment.
Regular Drop-In Hours:
|Tuesdays||9:00 am - 11:00 am|
|Thursdays||9:00 am - 11:00 am|
General Importan Information:
- Once registration is open: If you need permission to register for a course that is outside of the BIOC program, you must contact the department where the course is given.
- If you are an BIOC student and wish to register for a BIOC course within the required course list and they are full, I encourage you to please email carmen.paezmendoza [at] mcgill.ca (Carmen Aimee), including your McGill ID number.
- Passing Grade: All REQUIRED and COMPLEMENTARY courses listed in your program must be passed with a “C” or better. “D” is a failure. If you receive a grade of “D”, this can be considered as one of your electives and then you can choose another complementary course from the list.
- Complementary Courses: are REQUIRED courses for your program, they are not elective courses.
- S/U Option: You may choose to have a final grades of S (satisfactory) or U (unsatisfactory) for one of your elective courses. This option cannot be used for required courses, including complementary courses. The decision to have an elective courses graded as S/U must be made before the end of ADD/DROP.
- Failed a REQUIRED or COMPLEMENTARY course? You have two options:
Apply to write a supplemental exam or
Repeat the course
- If you fail a complementary course and receive a final grade of “D” you have three options:
- Apply to write a supplemental exam or
- -Repeat the course or
- -Since a D is a pass for an elective , you can choose another course from the list.
- SICK during a midterm or final exam-What should you do? If you miss a midterm exam due to illness, you must bring your doctor’s note to the office, Room 905 (within the 2 week period of the midterm date). If you miss a final exam due to illness, then you apply on Minerva to write a deferred exam.
- Thinking Ahead: which courses should I take in order to leave the option of Medical School open? Students who wish to leave the option of applying to medical school open should be aware that they can choose to complete any of the Science Majors (not only the biological or life sciences ones). Most medical schools look for a diverse applicant pool, and all of the Science programs provide ample room to include medical school prerequisite courses (see https://mcgill.ca/science/prospective/medical)
- Familiarize yourself with University Regulations and Resources https://mcgill.ca/study/2018-2019