|Due to renovations and staffing issues, advising services are currently being offered online. SOUSA will be moving to a hybrid advising model - offering both in person and online appointments - during the Fall term.|
Finding the right advisor
You have access to two kinds of academic advisors: Faculty (SOUSA) advisors and Program advisors. Learn more about the services they provide.
Course registration issues
Registration for courses is controlled by the units that offer the courses. SOUSA advisors cannot help you register for courses that are full or restricted, or have other issues. You must contact the unit offering the course.
Admissions & tuition fees
Admission to McGill and payment of tuition fees is handled by Enrolment Services. SOUSA advisors cannot answer questions related to admissions or student accounts. Visit the Admissions Office website for information on admission requirements, the application process (including deadlines), assessment of advanced standing and transfer credits, language proficiency requirements, legal documents and transcript requirements. Visit the Student Accounts website for information on tuition fees and billing.
Due to renovations and staffing issues, advising services are currently being offered online. SOUSA will be moving to a hybrid advising model - offering both in person and online appointments - during the Fall term.
Booking a virtual advising session with your advisor
Individual advising sessions are available on a first-come first-served basis. Please email advisor.science [at] mcgill.ca (our receptionist) to get a link to your advisor's booking page, where you can book your own online session. Sessions are offered weekdays during regular office hours (Montreal time), and can only be booked a maximum of 4 days in advance.
Be sure to:
- Use your McGill email account
- Include your ID number
- Include the name of your assigned advisor (this can be found on your Minerva transcript)
You can also email your SOUSA advisor with questions and they will respond as quickly as possible. See below for advisors' schedules and email addresses.
Note that during the Add/Drop period at the start of each term, we receive a high volume of emails and appointment requests. Please expect longer wait times and avoid sending multiple emails. We appreciate your patience and will do our utmost to respond to inquiries as quickly as possible.
Advisor contact info
Your assigned advisor is listed on your Minerva transcript, near your name.
- Pete Barry: pete.barry [at] mcgill.ca
- Paul Olioff: paul.olioff [at] mcgill.ca
- Vanessa Hansen: vanessa.hansen [at] mcgill.ca
- Curtis Sharman: curtis.sharman [at] mcgill.ca
- Tania Raggo (BA&Sc degree, including inter-faculty transfers) tania.raggo [at] mcgill.ca
- Jane Hawes jane.hawes [at] mcgill.ca
- For students in Neuroscience, Cognitive Science, Life Sciences Minor, General Science Minor and Field Studies Minor, please email advisor.science [at] mcgill.ca (and include your name and McGill ID number) to book an advising appointment.
- Mary Gauthier mary.gauthier [at] mcgill.ca
Special advisor for:
- Exchange, (including incoming from other countries), Study abroad and inter/intra-faculty transfers and newly admitted students who have taken courses outside of McGill before coming to McGill.
- General Inquiries: advisor.science [at] mcgill.ca ("adviser" works too)
- Readmission Inquiries: readmission.science [at] mcgill.ca
TelephoneIf you need to make an appointment with your advisor, please email advisor.science [at] mcgill.ca with your name and ID number to receive a link to your advisor's self booking page. Appointments are provided by email only.
514-398-5442 (Note, due to staffing issues, the phones are closed until further notice.)
Email is the preferred mode of communication.
New students: newstudentadvising.science [at] mcgill.ca
All other inquiries: advisor.science [at] mcgill.ca (advisor or adviser both work)
Dawson Hall, room 405
853 Sherbrooke Street West
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Transition to hybrid model of academic advising - Fall 2022
SOUSA staff are currently providing all advising services online. During the Fall 2022 term, we will be transitioning to a hybrid model of academic advising (offering both in person and remote appointments). Please stay tuned for updates and thank you for your patience as we move towards this new model.
Kindly use one means of communication only to help us avoid duplicating work. Sending duplicate correspondence to multiple people will not result in a quicker response time.
For general inquiries to the Science advising office, please email advisor.science [at] mcgill.ca.