Finding the right advisor
You have access to two kinds of academic advisors: Faculty (SOUSA) advisors and Program advisors. Learn more about the services they provide.
Course registration issues
Registration for courses is controlled by the units that offer the courses. SOUSA advisors cannot help you register for courses that are full or restricted, or have other issues. You must contact the unit offering the course.
Admissions & tuition fees
Admission to McGill and payment of tuition fees is handled by Enrolment Services. SOUSA advisors cannot answer questions related to admissions or student accounts. Visit the Admissions Office website for information on admission requirements, the application process (including deadlines), assessment of advanced standing and transfer credits, language proficiency requirements, legal documents and transcript requirements. Visit the Student Accounts website for information on tuition fees and billing.
Booking an appointment your advisor
Individual advising sessions are available on a first-come first-served basis. Please email advisor.science [at] mcgill.ca (our receptionist) to get links for your advisor's booking pages, where you can book your own in-person or online session. Sessions are offered weekdays during regular office hours (Montreal time), and can only be booked a maximum of 2 days in advance.
Be sure to:
- Use your McGill email account
- Include your ID number
- Include the name of your assigned advisor (this can be found on your Minerva transcript)
You can also email your SOUSA advisor with questions and they will respond as quickly as possible. See below for advisors' schedules and email addresses.
Note that during the Add/Drop period at the start of each term, we receive a high volume of emails and appointment requests. Please expect longer wait times and avoid sending multiple emails. We appreciate your patience and will do our utmost to respond to inquiries as quickly as possible.
Advisor contact info
Your assigned advisor is listed on your Minerva transcript, near your name.
- Pete Barry: pete.barry [at] mcgill.ca
- Paul Olioff: paul.olioff [at] mcgill.ca
- Vanessa Hansen: vanessa.hansen [at] mcgill.ca
- Olivia Sanalitro: olivia.sanalitro [at] mcgill.ca
- Tania Raggo (BA&Sc degree) tania.raggo [at] mcgill.ca
- Jane Hawes jane.hawes [at] mcgill.ca
- Curtis Sharman: curtis.sharman [at] mcgill.ca - Neuroscience*, Life Sciences Minor, General Science Minor and Field Studies Minor.
- *Note: students interested in applying to Neuroscience should contact prospective.neuroscience [at] mcgill.ca
- Liana Hall DuMond: liana.hall [at] mcgill.ca - Cognitive Science
- Mary Gauthier mary.gauthier [at] mcgill.ca - Exchange, (including incoming from other countries), Study abroad, Inter/Intra-faculty transfers and newly admitted students who have taken courses outside of McGill before coming to McGill.
- General Inquiries: advisor.science [at] mcgill.ca ("adviser" works too)
- Readmission Inquiries: readmission.science [at] mcgill.ca
TelephoneIf you need to make an appointment with your advisor, please email advisor.science [at] mcgill.ca with your name and ID number to receive a link to your advisor's self booking page. Appointments are provided by email only.
514-398-5442 (Note, due to staffing issues, the phones are closed until further notice.)
Email is the preferred mode of communication.
New students: newstudentadvising.science [at] mcgill.ca
All other inquiries: advisor.science [at] mcgill.ca (advisor or adviser both work)
Dawson Hall, room 405
853 Sherbrooke Street West
Montreal, Quebec, Canada