Finding the right adviser
You have access to two kinds of academic adviser: SOUSA advisers and program advisers. Learn more about the services they provide.
Course registration issues
Registration for courses is controlled by the units that offer the courses. SOUSA advisers cannot help you register for courses that are full or restricted, or have other issues. You must contact the unit offering the course.
- SOUSA adviser schedules and email addresses
- How to see your SOUSA adviser
- Contact SOUSA
- SOUSA office hours
Changes to Service!
April 20, 2020
Same-Day advising has changed to online advising while the campus is closed due to the corona virus. You can email your SOUSA advisor with questions and they will respond as quickly as possible. We also offer Zoom advising sessions (schedule below). For general updates about the University response to corona virus, see www.mcgill.ca/coronavirus. See below for advisors' schedules and email addresses.
For Same-Day advising, please email advisor.science [at] mcgill.ca (our receptionist) to get a time slot (include your ID number). Please do NOT phone for an appointment.
If you are an exchange student from another country or a McGill student who is away, contact mary.gauthier [at] mcgill.ca (Mary Gauthie)r. Please include your ID number.
Advisor Contact Info
Your advisor is listed on your Minerva transcript, near your name.
Please note that except for Ryan Bouma, there will be no Same-Day advising until Monday June 1st, as the SOUSA Advisers are processing graduation records for Winter 2020 graduation. If you have an urgent question, please email your SOUSA Adviser.
Same-day advising (Zoom Meeting times are EDT or GMT-4hrs)
- Pete Barry: pete.barry [at] mcgill.ca
- by appointment only
- Paul Olioff: paul.olioff [at] mcgill.ca
Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday 1:30 to 3:30
- Vanessa Hansen: vanessa.hansen [at] mcgill.ca
Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday 3:00 to 4:30
- Curtis Sharman: curtis.sharman [at] mcgill.ca
Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday: 11:00 to 12:00 and 2:00 to 3:00
- Tania Raggo (BA&Sc degree): tania.raggo [at] mcgill.ca
Monday and Tuesday: 11:00 to 1:00
- Ryan Bouma Interdisciplinary Program Adviser: (Neuroscience, Cognitive Science, Life Sciences Minor, General Science Minor and Field Studies Minor: ryan.bouma [at] mcgill.ca
- Monday to Thursday: Daily: 1:30 to 3:00 (Until August 21st)
- Mary Gauthier (Exchange, (including incoming from other countries), Study abroad and inter-faculty transfer adviser): mary.gauthier [at] mcgill.ca
Monday and Wednesday: 2:00 to 3:00
- General Inquiries: advisor.science [at] mcgill.ca ("adviser" works too)
- Readmission Inquiries: readmission.science [at] mcgill.ca
Changes to Service!
March 20 2020
We will be offering Same-Day advising sessions online via Zoom. In the meantime we are available via email. See the advisor schedule above for details.
Outside Same-Day hours
(If you are unable to access your adviser’s regular sessions online)
- Email your adviser providing multiple times when you are free so they can book an appointment for you at a later date. Indicate which time zone you are in.
- Always use your McGill email address and include your ID number.
- During peak periods (course change and before registration) it may take a while for your advisor to answer you. If it is urgent, also email advisor.science [at] mcgill.ca.
Telephone - Resumption of Service
April 8, 2020
Our phones are now operating normally. However, for Same Day advising appointments, please email advisor.science [at] mcgill.ca with your name and ID number and time zone. Do not call for an appointment.
514-398-5442 (Phones are closed from 12:00 to 1:15 daily)
New students: newstudentadvising.science [at] mcgill.ca
All other inquiries: advisor.science [at] mcgill.ca (advisor or adviser both work)
No Mail Delivery! Please delay mailing documents to us until mail service is restored. (updated March 20)
Dawson Hall, room 405
853 Sherbrooke Street West
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Interruption to Service!
March 28 2020
The University is CLOSED until further notice, but classes are resuming online Monday March 30. General inquiries to the Science advising office should be emailed to advisor.science [at] mcgill.ca. For general information about McGill's response to the corona virus, see www.mcgill.ca/coronavirus.
Our online availability (during the corona virus interruption) is:
Monday 9 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Tuesday 9 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Wednesday 9 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Thursday 10 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Friday 9 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.