Finding the right advisor
You have access to two kinds of academic advisors: Faculty (SOUSA) advisors and Program advisors. Learn more about the services they provide.
Course registration issues
Registration for courses is controlled by the units that offer the courses. SOUSA advisors cannot help you register for courses that are full or restricted, or have other issues. You must contact the unit offering the course.
Admissions & tuition fees
Admission to McGill and payment of tuition fees is handled by Enrolment Services. SOUSA advisors cannot answer questions related to admissions or student accounts. Visit the Admissions Office website for information on admission requirements, the application process (including deadlines), assessment of advanced standing and transfer credits, language proficiency requirements, legal documents and transcript requirements. Visit the Student Accounts website for information on tuition fees and billing.
Please be advised that SOUSA will be closed on June 24 and 25, and July 1 and 2.
Booking a virtual advising session with your advisor
Individual advising sessions are available on a first-come first-served basis. Please email advisor.science [at] mcgill.ca (our receptionist) to get a link to your advisor's booking page, where you can book your own online session. Sessions are offered weekdays during regular office hours (Montreal time), and can only be booked a maximum of 4 days in advance.
Be sure to include:
- your ID number
- The name of your advisor (which is on your Minerva transcript)
- Please do NOT phone for an appointment
- Use your McGill email account
You can also email your SOUSA advisor with questions and they will respond as quickly as possible. See below for advisors' schedules and email addresses.
For general updates about the University response to COVID-19, see www.mcgill.ca/coronavirus.
Note that during the course change period at the start of each term, we are extremely busy and there will be delays in replying to you. Please be patient and avoid sending multiple emails.
Advisor Contact Info
Your advisor is listed on your Minerva transcript, near your name.
- Pete Barry: pete.barry [at] mcgill.ca
- Paul Olioff: paul.olioff [at] mcgill.ca
- Vanessa Hansen: vanessa.hansen [at] mcgill.ca
- Curtis Sharman: curtis.sharman [at] mcgill.ca
- Tania Raggo tania.raggo [at] mcgill.ca
BA&Sc degree, including inter-faculty transfers
- Jane Hawes jane.hawes [at] mcgill.ca
- Ryan Bouma ryan.bouma [at] mcgill.ca
Interdisciplinary Program Advisor for:
- Neuroscience, Cognitive Science, Life Sciences Minor, General Science Minor, Field Studies Minor and Biotechnology Minor
- Mary Gauthier mary.gauthier [at] mcgill.ca
Special advisor for:
- Exchange, (including incoming from other countries), Study abroad and inter/intra-faculty transfers and newly admitted students who have taken courses outside of McGill before coming to McGill.
- General Inquiries: advisor.science [at] mcgill.ca ("adviser" works too)
- Readmission Inquiries: readmission.science [at] mcgill.ca
If you need to make an appointment with your advisor, please email advisor.science [at] mcgill.ca with your name and ID number to receive a link to your advisor's self booking page. Do not call for an appointment.
Phone lines are open from Monday to Friday - 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon Montreal time. Email is the preferred mode of communication.
New students: newstudentadvising.science [at] mcgill.ca
All other inquiries: advisor.science [at] mcgill.ca (advisor or adviser both work)
No Mail Delivery! Please delay mailing documents to us until mail service is restored. (updated March 20, 2020)
Dawson Hall, room 405
853 Sherbrooke Street West
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Interruption to regular services
As of March 28 2020
We are not currently offering in-person services. For general inquiries to the Science advising office, please email advisor.science [at] mcgill.ca.
For general information about McGill's COVID-19 response, please consult www.mcgill.ca/coronavirus.