Finding the right advisor
You have access to two kinds of academic advisors: Faculty (SOUSA) advisors and Program advisors. Learn more about the services they provide.
Course registration issues
Registration for courses is controlled by the units that offer the courses. SOUSA advisors cannot help you register for courses that are full or restricted, or have other issues. You must contact the unit offering the course.
Book your own appointments with an advisor!
Important notice for May 6 to 26:
- Paul, Tania, Pete, Vanessa and Curtis will be focused on processing graduation applications and will NOT be available for regular advising appointments. For urgent issues during this time, please contact advisor.science [at] mcgill.ca .
- Mary, Ryan and Jane will maintain regular advising appointments during this time.
Individual advising sessions are available on a first-come first-served basis. Please email advisor.science [at] mcgill.ca (our receptionist) to get a link to your advisor's booking page, where you can book your own on-line appointment. Be aware that these sessions are offered weekdays during regular office hours in Montreal time, and can only be booked a maximum of 4 days in advance.
Be sure to include:
- your ID number
- The name of your advisor (which is on your Minerva transcript)
- Please do NOT phone for an appointment
- Use your McGill email account
You can also email your SOUSA advisor with questions and they will respond as quickly as possible.
For general updates about the University response to corona virus, see www.mcgill.ca/coronavirus. See below for advisors' schedules and email addresses.
Note that during the course change period at the start of each term, we are extremely busy and there will be delays in replying to you. Please be patient and avoid sending multiple emails.
Advisor Contact Info
Your advisor is listed on your Minerva transcript, near your name.
- Pete Barry: pete.barry [at] mcgill.ca
- Paul Olioff: paul.olioff [at] mcgill.ca
- Vanessa Hansen: vanessa.hansen [at] mcgill.ca
- Curtis Sharman: curtis.sharman [at] mcgill.ca
- Tania Raggo tania.raggo [at] mcgill.ca
BA&Sc degree, including inter-faculty transfers
- Jane Hawes jane.hawes [at] mcgill.ca
- Ryan Bouma ryan.bouma [at] mcgill.ca
Interdisciplinary Program Adviser for:
- Neuroscience, Cognitive Science, Life Sciences Minor, General Science Minor, Field Studies Minor and Biotechnology Minor
- Mary Gauthier mary.gauthier [at] mcgill.ca
Special advisor for:
- Exchange, (including incoming from other countries), Study abroad and inter/intra-faculty transfers and newly admitted students who have taken courses outside of McGill before coming to McGill.
- General Inquiries: advisor.science [at] mcgill.ca ("adviser" works too)
- Readmission Inquiries: readmission.science [at] mcgill.ca
If you need to make an appointment with your advisor, please email advisor.science [at] mcgill.ca with your name and ID number to receive a link to your advisor's self booking page. Do not call for an appointment.
Phone lines are open from Monday to Friday - 10:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (Note: closed for lunch from 12:00 p.m. to 1:15 p.m.).
New students: newstudentadvising.science [at] mcgill.ca
All other inquiries: advisor.science [at] mcgill.ca (advisor or adviser both work)
No Mail Delivery! Please delay mailing documents to us until mail service is restored. (updated March 20, 2020)
Dawson Hall, room 405
853 Sherbrooke Street West
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Interruption to Service!
March 28 2020
The campus is CLOSED until further notice, but classes are being offered at a distance. General inquiries to the Science advising office should be emailed to advisor.science [at] mcgill.ca. For general information about McGill's response to the corona virus, see www.mcgill.ca/coronavirus.
Our online availability (during the corona virus interruption) is:
Monday 10 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Tuesday 10 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Wednesday 10 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Thursday 10 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Friday 10 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.