Finding the right adviser
You have access to two kinds of academic adviser: SOUSA advisers and program advisers. Learn more about the services they provide.
Course registration issues
Registration for courses is controlled by the units that offer the courses. SOUSA advisers cannot help you register for courses that are full or restricted, or have other issues. You must contact the unit offering the course.
- SOUSA adviser schedules and email addresses
- How to see your SOUSA adviser
- Contact SOUSA
- SOUSA office hours
Changes to Service!
June 19, 2020
We are offering Question and Answer sessions to students so you can drop in and ask an advisor questions, and hear their answers to your and other student's questions. The schedule is above and the links go live 30 minutes before each session. These sessions are open to new students from Quebec and elsewhere.
Individual advising sessions are also available on a first-come first-served basis. Please email advisor.science [at] mcgill.ca (our receptionist) to get a time slot.
Be sure to include:
- your ID number
- multiple times when you are available over the next week (in EDT)
- All times must be in EDT (which is GMT minus 4 hours)
- Please do NOT phone for an appointment.
You can also email your SOUSA advisor with questions and they will respond as quickly as possible. We also offer Zoom advising sessions (schedule below). For general updates about the University response to corona virus, see www.mcgill.ca/coronavirus. See below for advisors' schedules and email addresses.
Note that during the new student registration period in June, we are extremely busy and there will be delays in replying to you. Please be patient and avoid sending multiple emails.
Advisor Contact Info
Your advisor is listed on your Minerva transcript, near your name.
Individual advising from June 1st to August 21st (inclusive)
Individual advising (Zoom Meeting times are EDT or GMT-4hrs)
- Pete Barry: pete.barry [at] mcgill.ca
- by appointment only
- Paul Olioff: paul.olioff [at] mcgill.ca
- Monday, Tuesday, Thursday: 1:30 to 3:30
- Vanessa Hansen: vanessa.hansen [at] mcgill.ca
- Monday, Tuesday, Thursday 2:30 to 4:30
- Curtis Sharman: curtis.sharman [at] mcgill.ca
Daily: 11:00 to 12:00 and 2:00 to 3:00(Cancelled: July 31st to August 14th inclusive)
- Tania Raggo (BA&Sc degree): tania.raggo [at] mcgill.ca
- Monday, Tuesday, Thursday: 11:00 to 1:00
- Ryan Bouma Interdisciplinary Program Adviser: (Neuroscience, Cognitive Science, Life Sciences Minor, General Science Minor and Field Studies Minor: ryan.bouma [at] mcgill.ca
- Monday to Thursday: Daily: 1:30 to 3:00
- Mary Gauthier (Exchange, (including incoming from other countries), Study abroad and inter-faculty transfer adviser): mary.gauthier [at] mcgill.ca
- If you would like to schedule an appointment via zoom, please contact mary.gauthier [at] mcgill.ca (Mary Gauthier)
- General Inquiries: advisor.science [at] mcgill.ca ("adviser" works too)
- Readmission Inquiries: readmission.science [at] mcgill.ca
Changes to Service!
June 16, 2020
Same-Day advising sessions are not available during the new student registration period. They will resume in July.
Outside Same-Day hours
(If you are unable to access your adviser’s regular sessions online)
- Email your adviser providing multiple times when you are free so they can book an appointment for you at a later date. Indicate which time zone you are in.
- Always use your McGill email address and include your ID number.
- During peak periods (course change and before registration) it may take a while for your advisor to answer you. If it is urgent, also email advisor.science [at] mcgill.ca.
Telephone - Resumption of Service
April 8, 2020
Our phones are now operating normally. However, for Same Day advising appointments, please email advisor.science [at] mcgill.ca with your name and ID number and time zone. Do not call for an appointment.
514-398-5442 (Phones are closed from 12:00 to 1:15 daily)
New students: newstudentadvising.science [at] mcgill.ca
All other inquiries: advisor.science [at] mcgill.ca (advisor or adviser both work)
No Mail Delivery! Please delay mailing documents to us until mail service is restored. (updated March 20)
Dawson Hall, room 405
853 Sherbrooke Street West
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Interruption to Service!
March 28 2020
The campus is CLOSED until further notice, but classes are being offered at a distance. General inquiries to the Science advising office should be emailed to advisor.science [at] mcgill.ca. For general information about McGill's response to the corona virus, see www.mcgill.ca/coronavirus.
Our online availability (during the corona virus interruption) is:
Monday 9 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Tuesday 9 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Wednesday 9 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Thursday 10 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Friday 9 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.