Please read all information on this page. Carefully complete the application steps as detailed point-by-point below. If applying for the fall term, an early-completed submission maximizes your chance of obtaining a recruitment award.
Applicants meeting all of the academic requirements must also be accepted by a research supervisor before they are accepted as a student into the program. When considering to supervise a potential student, the supervisor will specify to the applicant the amount and duration of the financial support to be offered during studies.
Laboratory space and research funding limitations restrict the number of students in the program. As a result, well qualified applicants may not be accepted because they fail to find a supervisor. Supervisors are provided with access to the application dossiers of all potential students. Though one may apply to the program prior to contacting a potential supervisor, chances of finding a supervisor improve if applicants:
- are specific about the area(s) of research they are interested in pursuing in their application form
- identify several preferred supervisors in their application form (irrespective of having contacted a supervisor or awaiting a reply from them)
- contact potential supervisors prior to the application process to determine if there are openings available and projects of mutual interest
Information about potential supervisors and their areas of research can be found on our faculty page.
See also the McGill page on helpful advice on choosing a supervisor. If you have questions, please contact info.bbme [at] mcgill.ca (info.bbme at mcgill.ca).
Determine the deadline for your application: NOTE: NO SUMMER ADMISSION
For Winter term
For Fall term
International September 1 February 1 Canadian citizen or Permanent resident November 1 February 1
Applicants who wish to be considered for recruitment fellowships should apply well ahead of the admissions deadline. Policies and deadlines for recruitment fellowships can be found at: https://www.mcgill.ca/bbme/prospective-students/funding.
- Consult the following link on instructions on how to apply and how to upload required supporting documents: https://www.mcgill.ca/gradapplicants/how-apply/submit-your-application
- Gather the following for your application:
- Your transcript(s) (no need for official transcript(s) at this stage)
- Contact information of two referees who will write letters of recommendation (McGill will contact these referees and invite them to upload references on your behalf.)
- For non-Canadian, non-English speakers: an official TOEFL or IELTS score (See language requirements for our Master's and Doctoral programs, as well as further details about English language proficiency and submitting test scores.)
- A résumé or curriculum vitae
- A personal statement
- Note: GRE is NOT required
- Apply on-line via the following link: https://www.mcgill.ca/gradapplicants/apply/ready.
- If you have established a contact with a potential supervisor, notify them about the completed application.
- After submitting your application you may still log into uApply to update information.
- Regularly log into uApply to check the status of your application and see whether you have been offered admission.
- If you are offered admission on uApply, confirm your acceptance.
After Accepting Admission
- Notify your supervisor that you accepted the offer of admission. Congratulations! You are now a student of the BBME program.
- Gather your official transcript(s) and proof of graduation as you will need to forward these to the University as described in your letter of acceptance.