In February 2020, Professor Daniel Jutras was appointed Principal of the Université de Montréal, starting June 2020.
Over the course of his academic career, Professor Daniel Jutras, OC, Ad. E., focused his teaching, teaching and research on civil law and comparative law, and conducted research in the law of obligations from a comparative and pluralist perspective. He also pursued some projects on judicial institutions and civil procedure. Professor Jutras was frequently invited to speak on these issues before judicial and academic audiences in Canada and in Europe.
From 2002 to 2004, Professor Jutras was on leave from the Faculty, and acted as personal secretary to the Chief Justice of Canada, the Right Honourable Beverley McLachlin, in the position of Executive Legal Officer of the Supreme Court of Canada. He is a former Director of the Institute of Comparative Law and has served as Associate Dean (Admissions and Placement), and Associate Dean (Academic) in the Faculty. He was Dean of the Faculty of Law from 2010 to 2016, after having previously led the Faculty as Interim Dean for a period of eight months.
Professor Jutras was named to the Wainwright Chair in Civil Law in 2011. In 2013, he was appointed by the Supreme Court of Canada to serve as amicus curiæ in the Reference on the Reform of the Senate of Canada, and was awarded a Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal. The Barreau du Québec awarded him the Advocatus Emeritus (Ad.E.) distinction in 2014 and its Mérite award in June 2016.
In January 2016, Professor Jutras was named a federal member of the Independent Advisory Board for Senate Appointments by the Hon. Maryam Monsef, Minister of Democratic Institutions.
In December 2019, he was appointed an officer of the Order of Canada.
- LL.M. (Harvard) 1985
- LL.B. (Montréal) 1982
- Federal Member of the Independent Advisory Board for Senate Nominations, 2016-2018
- Wainwright Chair, Faculty of Law, McGill University, 2011-2020
- Dean, Faculty of Law, McGill University, 2010-2016
- Interim Dean, Faculty of Law, McGill University, Jul 2009 - Feb 2010
- Professor, Faculty of Law, McGill University
- Director, Institute of Comparative Law, McGill University, 1998-2002
- Associate Dean (Academic), 1995-1998
- Associate Dean (Admissions and Placement), Faculty of Law, McGill University, 1989-1991
- Member of the Quebec Bar, 1984-
Awards and Honours
- Officer of the Order of Canada - 2019
- Mérite du Barreau du Québec - 2016
- Advocatus Emeritus - 2014
- Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal - 2013
Areas of Interest
Obligations, judicial institutions, civil procedure, comparative law, law and society.