During the period in which McGill has committed to offering remote instruction, the Scholarships and Student Aid Office is pleased to offer virtual services.

Government aid recipients going abroad / study away

Students receiving government aid and studying abroad (i.e. exchange; field study) or study away should familiarize themselves with the following procedures well before leaving:

  • Before going away, students on government aid should contact the Scholarships and Student Aid Office regarding their student loan documents.
  • You must be paying tuition fees to McGill University in order to be considered a McGill student for government loan purposes.
  • If you are attending another institution and paying fees to that institution on a study abroad, you should apply for government aid through your host institution instead of through McGill.
  • Out of province government aid recipients on formal exchange should ensure they have set up a power of attorney in order to have their government loan certification negotiated on their behalf.

Be sure to also check out the page on Mobility Awards and the Enriched Educational Opportunities (EEO) bursary for funding opportunities to help you pay for your upcoming adventure!

Back to top