Students with Canada or Integrated Provincial Student Loans: It’s now more important than ever to register an account with NSLSC On-Line Services. An NSLSC On-Line Services feature directly affects how you receive information on the status of your loan.
Government funding sources
McGill Canadian students from outside of Quebec are eligible for government aid assistance through their province of residence.
Out-of-province government aid has two funding sources*:
- federal government aid: known as the Canada Student Loans Program (CSLP)
- provincial government aid: each province or territory has its own student loan program
Students need only submit one application through their provincial portal. They are then assessed for both types of government aid at once.
*The Northwest Territories and Nunavut have stand-alone government aid programs that are not integrated with the Canada Student Loans Program.
It is the student’s responsibility to:
- complete their government aid application on time
- check their application status on their provincial government aid account before coming to the Scholarships and Student Aid Office for related inquiries
- refer back to their provincial aid account regularly for file and funding updates
- create a CSLP account (in addition to their provincial aid account)
- inform the ministry of any changes in income, including those related to bursaries, scholarships and awards. Important: in the case of the Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP), the Scholarships and Student Aid Office declares to the ministry, on your behalf, all bursaries (need-based awards) you have received. Do not report these to OSAP as this will result in twice the amount being recorded on your file.)
The Scholarships and Student Aid Office’s role
- The Scholarships and Student Aid Office assists all government aid agencies in administering the student aid programs by confirming student registration status
- We help students with the application, appeals process and eligibility requirements
- When required, we inform students about their government jurisdiction policies and procedures