All non-Canadians admitted into a residency or fellowship program at McGill University must obtain a work permit from Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) to work legally in Canada.

The work permit is issued for a period of time equal to that of the McGill offer letter and the Letter of Eligibility issued from the Collège des médecins du Québec (CMQ), but not beyond the expiry date of the trainee’s passport, and must be extended as required.

The work permit is official permission for you to work in Canada. You can find out more via Citizenship and Immigration Canada.

How do I Apply for a Work Permit?

Required Documents

  1. McGill University’s Offer Letter
  2. Letter of Eligibility issued by the Collège des médecins du Québec (CMQ)
  3. And any other documents listed on CIC’s Document Checklist

Other Requirements

  • You will need to undergo a medical examination. You may either:
    • undergo an upfront medical examination by contacting a Panel Physician; or
    • wait until your application is reviewed and medical instructions are provided to you by the visa office.
  • Workers from certain countries may also require a Temporary Resident Visa (also known as an "Entry Visa") to enter Canada.

Documents listed on the CIC Work Permit checklist that residents/fellows do NOT require:

Employer Declaration: this form is not required since you will submit McGill University’s Offer Letter (on McGill letterhead), your Sponsorship Letter and your CMQ Letter of Eligibility.
Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA)as a resident/fellow you do not require an LMIA. However, an Offer of Employment number is required and will be provided to you by the PGME office.
CAQ (work): as a resident/fellow you do not require a Work CAQ. A Study CAQ and a Study Permit are required if you plan to enroll in another program of study lasting 6 months or longer.

Once your Work Permit has been Approved

You may travel to Canada once you receive an approval letter from CIC. Upon arrival in Quebec you will be granted a Work Permit at the port of entry.  To avoid complications, please ensure that the information printed on your work permit matches your passport and employer details.

You must send a legible, full-page copy of the work permit to the PGME Office in order to finalize registration.


Student Affairs Administrator
Email: [at]






Next: Professional Liability / Malpractice Insurance

Back to top