Get your questions answered


What is the registration process for trainees taking Epidemiology courses?

In February of each year, residents are able to register for summer epidemiology courses via Minerva (McGill’s online Content Management System). For additional information, please consult the Epidemiology website.

Is there a graduation ceremony at the end of the training?

Although there is no graduation ceremony, you will receive a certificate after successfully completing the required training.

Which hospital will I be based at?

Once you have registered with McGill University and obtained your CMQ training card, you will find your base hospital on the Virtual Training Card, accessible through the Resident Portal.

How do I obtain my Certificate or Attestation Letter?

It takes between 8 to 12 weeks to issue a McGill certificate after completion of training, provided the final evaluation has been issued. This means that a trainee who completes training on June 30th can expect to receive his/her certificate between September 1st and September 30th.

How do I pay my McGill tuition and fees?

You will be notified through your official McGill email address that your monthly e-bill is ready to be viewed on Minerva. Details can be found on the McGill Student Accounts website.

I’ve been accepted, what do I have to do now?

If you’ve just been admitted to one of our residency or fellowship programs and are wondering what you need to do before starting your position, the New Trainees section will provide guidance on the following: training card, McGill registration, work permit, Quebec Health Insurance Plan, immunization record, ID card, and Social Insurance Number.

How do I get a McGill email address?

Newly admitted students: You are given a McGill Email Address and mailbox automatically when you confirm your acceptance to McGill. Notification about your McGill Email Address is sent to the non-McGill email address you entered on your application form.
Re-admitted students: Your mailbox will be re-instated once you register for classes.

For more information, please visit the McGill IT Knowledge Base.

What kind of services are offered to McGill students?

McGill University offers a full range of Student Services for those who wish to enrich their McGill experience or require assistance in a variety of areas related to their educational and personal pursuits.

How can I change my name and address?

Visit the Student Records website for instructions on updating your contact information, making minor changes to your name, using a preferred first name, or correcting/changing your legal name.


I am a current postgraduate medical trainee on a work permit. How do I extend my work permit before it expires?

The PGME office will contact you about 4 months prior to the expiry date of your work permit. If we have not contacted you, please send a message to: [at]

The Immigration section provides complete details on the work permit extension process.

How long does it take to obtain a work permit?

Processing times are available on the CIC website.

Can I work with an expired work permit?

You can work with an expired work permit as long as you have implied status.

If you submit an application to extend your work permit before the expiry date of your current work permit and as long as you remain in Canada, you are considered to have “implied status” and can continue to work under the conditions of the expired work permit until a new work permit is issued.



What is the procedure for sending a trainee to a non-McGill accredited site?

For more information on electives, including the CMQ form, please consult our McGill Resident Elective Rotations page.

Please ensure to submit your request 3 months prior to the start date of the elective

What is the procedure for allowing an International Medical Graduate (IMG) to take an "observership" at McGill?

Please note that the Postgraduate Medical Education Office (PGME) is not responsible for observerships.



Back to top