Departmental Safety Committee
- Oversee implementation of departmental health and safety requirements
- Ensure that policies and procedures are effectively communicated to members of the department
- Receive and evaluate concerns, queries and complaints related to occupational health and safety issues from members of the department
- Receive and review reports of accidents, incidents, or occupational diseases in the Department and to recommend corrective measures
- Facilitate the process of pro-active hazard identification by way of regular workplace inspections and reviews of safety procedures
- Chair (Prof. Ryan Mailloux);
- Student Representative (to be determined);
- Members of the committee include all Professors in the School who maintain research labs as well as key staff members in their labs.
Safety Begins with YOU!
- It is your responsibility to conduct experiments safely
- Listen to your Supervisor's advice
- Read the McGill Laboratory Safety Manual
- Take responsibility for your safety
- Be conscious of the safety of others
- Get involved: report potential hazards
- EVERY graduate student doing laboratory research has to:
- Attend and pass WHMIS, and keep this updated!
- Register in myLab – that’s where to find MSDS (josee.sansoucy [at] mcgill.ca)
- Take all required safety courses – as determined by your supervisor
- Complete Safety Checklist with your supervisor
- Report accidents and injuries within 24 hours using the accident and incident reporting (https://www.mcgill.ca/ehs/forms/forms/accident-and-incident-report)
Handling hazardous materials?
Handling biohazardous materials (blood, pathogens, etc)?
Situations requiring immediate internal assistance
Call McGill (Macdonald Campus) Security: 514-398-7777
- Chemical spills
- If you use a fire extinguisher
- Any other reason you would want a security officer present
Emergencies requiring immediate external assistance
CALL 911 (then call Macdonald Campus Security: 514-398-7777)
- Montreal Police
- Montreal Fire Department
- Ambulance Service