Masters of Science Applied (Non-Thesis) Nursing, formerly known as the Direct-Entry program.
Our Master of Science (Applied) - Nursing is the program for you if you:
· hold a bachelor's degree in Arts or Science, comparable to the respective McGill undergraduate degree, and have no previous nursing preparation
This program is comprised of two (2) degrees that are completed consecutively:
- Qualifying Year, 1 year full time
- Masters of Science Applied - Nursing - 2 years full time (application is completed at the start of Winter term of the Qualifying Year).
Total time to completion is 3 Full Time years of study.
The applicant's undergraduate record must meet the minimum general requirements of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies, which includes a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale, or a high 'B' standing in undergraduate studies.
Since the number of qualified applicants normally considered exceeds the number of places available, fulfillment of the minimum requirements does not guarantee admission. The process is competitive and the Ingram School of Nursing reserves the right of selection of all students for admission to the MSc(A) Nursing program.
Applicants must have completed the following prerequisite courses before admission to the qualifying year, some of which may be taken online if a lab component is not required (please communicate with the Program Director to verify):
General Chemistry I and II - 6 credits
(Equivalent to McGill and
*Organic Chemistry I - 3 credits
(Equivalent to McGill )
*note that the laboratory component is NOT required
General Biology I and II - 6 credits
(Equivalent to McGill and
Introductory Statistics - 3 credits
(Equivalent to McGill
Mammalian Physiology - 6 credits
(Equivalent to McGill and
Social Science/Humanities - 6 credits
(i.e.; Psychology, Anthropology, Sociology, Philosophy, Child Development, Women's Studies, etc.)
For a total of: 30 credits
The sciences and introductory statistics courses may be completed at a Quebec CEGEP or university. However, the social science/humanities requirements must be completed at the university level.
For a list of course equivalencies at the CEGEP level visit: www.mcgill.ca/students/transfercredit/prospective/cegep/.
For math and science course equivalencies listing by university, visit: www.mcgill.ca/mathscitable/.
If the prerequisite course is not found on either of the links provided above, please contact the graduate.nursing [at] mcgill.ca (Nursing Student Affairs Office) to ensure equivalency.
Please note that all transcripts will be reviewed on an individual basis by the Graduate Admissions Committee.
French and English Language Requirements:
please review the "Graduate" tab on our APPLY page.
Cardio-Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) certification:
All students entering the Qualifying Year are required to be ready for clinical entry. A complete list of pre-clinical requirements are available at https://www.mcgill.ca/nursing/students/clinical. Direct Entry deadline dates are in the third column of dates provided. Once an offer of admission is extended and accepted, access to the student portal will be provided. BE SURE TO GET YOUR DOCUMENTATION TODAY EARLY – VISIT https://www.mcgill.ca/nursing/students/clinical NOW!
Compulsory Immunization program:
Like all Health Science students at McGill, Nursing applicants who are admitted are required to complete an immunization protocol by the time they enter the program.
Applicants are strongly encouraged to begin obtaining the required immunizations in January, as this process can take up to six months. Students who have accepted their offer of admission on Minerva must upload the completed immunization form directly to the Student Wellness Hub, by June 15th. The immunization form can be found here; for information on this program requirement, please review the Ingram School of Nursing’s Clinical requirements web page and contact the School for any questions. Students who have not completed their immunizations by the deadline will be forced to defer their admission for one year.
Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies (GPS) provides general information on how to apply.
As all our graduate programs are non-thesis, you are NOT required to provide the name of a potential supervisor EXCEPT for the PhD program. In addition, the School requires applicants to provide documents that are specific to each program.
Applicants to the QUALIFYING YEAR of the MSc(A) Nursing program will provide or upload:
- References: in creating your applicant profile, you will be asked to provide two references. The two references can: a) both be from a professional/work related source who are familiar with your academic work, or b) one be from a professor and one from a professional/work related source. You must list a valid institutional or corporate email for your references - public domain addresses such as Hotmail, Gmail or Yahoo will not be accepted by the School.
- Written Work: to better understand your interests and past experiences, provide an essay that answers all the QY Essay questions. Include the question at the start of each section. Please ensure that it is clearly identified with your name and McGill ID.
- Nursing Prerequisite Form: in order to assess if you have met the minimum requirements, complete the Qualifying Year Prerequisite Assessment Table and upload it, along with course descriptions, as one document in PDF format.
- Curriculum Vitae: your CV should provide an overview of your experience and other qualifications, including academic credentials, employment history, publications, contributions and significant achievements.
- Proficiency in French: For more information, please review the "Graduate" tab on our APPLY page.
CASPer: For more information, please review the "Graduate" tab on on our APPLY page.
Master of Science Applied (Non-Thesis) Nursing
Successful Completion of the Qualifying Year
During the Winter term of the Qualifying Year students will submit an application in the system (fees apply), for the MScA Nursing. Application deadlines are the same as for the Qualifying Year.
Applicants to the MSc(A) Nursing - No Concentration option will provide or upload:
- References: indicate Prof. Maria Di Feo (maria.difeo [at] mcgill.ca), and Prof Jodi Tuck (jodi.tuck [at] mcgill.ca) as your academic references. There is no need to contact them to request this, they do it automatically.
- Only your Qualifying Year should be entered in the Education History. If uApply populates your information from your previous application be ready to upload your unofficial transcript.
- Except for applicants to the Global Health concentration, no other documents need to be submitted. If other items appear on your checklist, please use the uApply communication tool to signal this and it will be removed from your profile.
Applicants to the MSc(A) Nursing - Global Health concentration
In addition to the requirements listed directly above, applicants to the Global Health Direct Entry concentration have additional requirements:
- Nursing GHS app form: applicants to Global Health Studies must also complete and upload the Global Health Studies Application Form.
NOTE: If you are not offered admission to the Global Health concentration, you will be switched to the no concentration instead so do not apply to both!