Undergraduate Studies FAQs


I am having trouble registering for a course. MINERVA gives me one of the following error messages:

Prerequisite/Test-Score Error: Ensure that you have passed the corequisite or registered simultaneously in the corequisite course(s) and have passed the prerequisite course(s). All core courses (prerequisites & corequisites) must be passed with a grade of C or better.

Faculty/Major Restriction: Ensure that this course is open for students in the MECH Department. If you are a new student, please be sure that you have declared your major on MINERVA.

Departmental Approval Required: Please contact the department via ugrad.mecheng [at] mcgill.ca (e-mail). Please remember to include your name and student ID.

What do I do if a course is full?

Some courses may be full before your registration date because returning students have registration priority. Continue to try to register as students may drop courses until the add/drop period. We will ensure that you find a place in the core courses that you need to take as listed in your sample curriculum except for CCOM 206 and FACC 300 which have limited enrollment.

A course labeled Temporarily Closed means that the department may be working on that section as per the request of the instructor or the timetable coordinator. There is the possibility that the course will remain closed for the semester. Please check back again soon.

I have completed Calculus III at CEGEP. Can I receive advanced credits for MATH 262?

No, students who have completed Calculus III at CEGEP must register and complete MATH 262 at McGill. We do not offer any placement exam for MATH 262.

How do I register for a MECH course with limited enrollment?

Please come to the MECH Undergraduate Office at ENGMD270 or contact via ugrad.mecheng [at] mcgill.ca (e-mail).

Am I eligible to take courses outside of McGill?

You are only allowed to take humanities and social science courses outside McGill. Rare exceptions to take other courses must be approved by the Associate Chair. Permission to take a humanities and social science course outside McGill must be obtained in advance from the Faculty of Engineering (FDA 22).

I want to register for more than 18 credits but MINERVA won't allow me. What do I do?

Only under exceptional circumstances will a student be allowed to carry more than 18 credits per term. For approval, please send an ugrad.mecheng [at] mcgill.ca (e-mail) to the MECH Undergraduate Office.

What do I do if I want to review my final exam?

You must email Mechanical Engineering Reception at reception.mechanical [at] mcgill.ca   You will be contacted to book an appointment to review the exam. If, after the review, you remain dissatisfied with the grading of an examination, then you must submit your request via the Reassessment of a Grade and Reread webform at the Student Affairs Office (FDA 22) for a formal re-read of the examination. The MECH department will then arrange to have the submission read by another faculty member. A possibility exists that the grade may be lowered or raised. The deadlines to make an application for a review of a final exam and/or re-read are the last days of March, July and November for fall, winter and summer courses respectively.

Where can I find a list of technical complementaries?

You can find them in the Student handbook here.

My program curriculum has changed. Should I follow the new curriculum?

No, unless a course is no longer offered in a specific term.  Example ECSE461 is no longer offered in the Fall term as of Fall2022.


How do I schedule an appointment with a departmental adviser?

Please click here to schedule an /outlook.office365.com/owa/calendar/MechanicalEngineeringAdvising [at] McGill.onmicrosoft.com/bookings/">appointment with an academic adviser. All students are strongly advised to meet with an adviser at the beginning of each year. This will help you to avoid unnecessary complications at the time of graduation.

I require a letter stating I am graduating. Where do I obtain such a letter?

Students must submit an online form via the Service Point website here. They will prepare the letter, which can then be picked up at the Service Point located at 3415 McTavish.

What is the maximum number of credits I can take per semester if I am on probationary standing?

You can take a maximum of 13 credits per semester.


I want to register in the Honours program. What do I do?

To be considered for entry into the Honours program, a student must have a CGPA of at least 3.5, and it is expected that CGPA is maintained at that level until graduation. Students may apply to the Honours Program by contacting Honours Program Coordinator after the Fall term of U2 year (term 3) or at the end of U2 year (term 4) for CEGEP students and Fall term of U2 year (term 5) or at the end of U2 year (term 6) for out of province students. For more details on the program, you may visit McGill eCalendar or consult our Stream C Curriculum .

I want to switch programs, what do I do?

Students wishing to transfer in MECH, please refer to the MESC page for more information.

Which minor programs are available in engineering?

General information concerning minors that are designed for students registered in the Faculty of Engineering can be found here. For a minor in Computer Science, please see Ms. Adina Puica in McConnell 320.

How do I register for a minor program?

In order to register for a minor available for Engineering students you must complete a "Request for Minor " form.


Where is the assignment box located?

The assignment box is in ENGMD 270.

Where is the Faculty of Engineering located?

The Faculty of Engineering is located in the Frank Dawson Adams Building (FDA), room 22.

Where is the lost and found located in the Macdonald Engineering Building?

The main lost and found office is located in Burnside Hall, room 120. If you lost an item in the Macdonald Engineering building, please check first with the reception in ENGMD270.

Do I have after hours access to the Macdonald Engineering Building?

Yes, students who are taking MECH courses have access to the building at all times.

Are computers available for students in the Macdonald Engineering Building?

Computers are available on the main floor of the building. These computers are maintained by Engineering Microcomputing Facilities (EMF).

I can't log into the computers. Who can help me?

For login problems with computers, contact EMF in the Macdonald-Harrington Building, room G-15.

How do I get a locker in the McConnell Building?

You must go to the Engineering Undergrad Society (EUS) secretary to register (McConnell 7). All lockers are half sized and the cost is $20 for the full year (plus $10 deposit). Locks are provided.

How do I get a copy card for the photocopy machine?

A copy card can be purchased at the McGill Copy Service in the Redpath Library Building, ground floor. Click here for more information.

Where are my professor's offices?

Professors' offices are located in MacDonald Engineering building and in the McConnell Building.

Back to top