Leave of Absence for Public Service

An employee who is a candidate for a municipal council, a school commission, hospital administrative board or a local community centre, may have a leave without pay up to thirty-five (35) working days. The employee may take any accumulated vacation within those thirty-five (35) days.

An employee who is a candidate for a federal or provincial seat is subject to the electoral law.

An employee elected to a federal or provincial seat is entitled to leave without pay for the duration of the first mandate. When the employee returns to work, the University will reinstate the employee to their former position. However, if the employee's position has been abolished, the provisions of the University's Employment Security Policy will apply.

An employee who wishes to take part in organizing an election campaign may, subject to University approval, use their accumulated days of vacation or take an unpaid leave of absence.

An employee who is elected to public office on a municipal council, a school board, a CEGEP board, a public health or social services institution, or to a civil function of a similar nature, who must be absent from work for meetings or official activities of their office, will be entitled to leave without pay.

In such case, a written confirmation of election and request stating the nature and probable length of the absence, must be sent to the immediate supervisor, with a copy to Human Resources at least fifteen (15) working days prior to the date of the beginning of the leave. Upon agreement by the supervisor, the leave could be approved even if the Employee's request for leave is made within the fifteen (15) working days delay.

Effective June 6, 2011
Revised: June 6, 2011

Back to top