Introduction to Self-Investing
Offered by the Health and Well-Being Program
Please note that this workshop is in-person in the Bronfman building, at 1001 Sherbrooke St W, Montreal, Quebec H3A 1G5, Room 423.
Join Shoeb Hosain, Professor and Program Director of McGill’s Master of Analytics at the Desautels Faculty of Management, and Wajih Atallah, Certified Financial Planner for an in-person workshop Introducing Self-Investing. The workshop will focus on:
- Understanding the basics of various self-directed Investment accounts (i.e. RRSP, TFSA, RPP, Non-registered)
- Basics of compounding returns
- What to look for when opening an account
- Basics of Taxation in Canada (Capital Gains vs Dividends vs Interest, as well as Federal and Provincial tax brackets, and how to understand the key differences)
- How to analyze stocks/ETFs using public tools like YahooFinance
- How to choose suitable investments (focus on suitable Stocks/ETFs) for your risk tolerance
- Investment timing (buying/selling strategies)
- Monitoring your portfolio and reducing your Risk (i.e. Foreign Currency Risk)
In March, there will be a follow-up workshop : Investment Decision Making – A Deeper Dive. There is no obligation to attend this second workshop, but it is highly recommended. Email healthandwellbeing.hr [at] mcgill.ca for any questions.
About the Speakers:
Shoeb joined McGill with a wealth of industry experience in both the Technology and Financial Services industries, and is helping to craft the Masters of Management in Analytics for the Desautels Faculty of Management, as Program Director MMA. His recent tenure at IBM Watson in the US allowed him to architect many AI solutions for Fortune 500 companies across North America and abroad. Having spent many years with TD Securities and Algorithmics, Shoeb worked in Simulation based Predictive Analytics in the Capital Markets space where he was based in London, UK and consulted with major Sovereign Wealth Funds and private Investment and Insurance institutions in the European and Asian markets. Shoeb holds a Masters of Business Administration (MBA) from McGill University, and a Bachelors of Commerce (B.COM) from the University of Toronto. He is also an alumnus of the University of Manchester (UK) and the University of Melbourne (Australia).
Wajih is a Senior Operations Manager at Deloitte. He holds a Masters of Business Administration from McGill University and is a Certified Financial Education Instructor. He lived in 6 countries and 3 continents and worked in many countries throughout his career. He loves connecting with people and creating tools and processes that enable and support turning great ideas into great realities.
- Access Minerva
- In the Employee Menu, click on Training Menu, select Health and Well-Being, and select this course to register