Project and Change Management Unit Objectives:
- Project Management: Manage all aspects of the project life-cycle including, but not limited to, planning, organizing, requirements gathering, solution design, communication, implementation and delivery.
- Business Analysis: Act as business analysts, subject matter experts and help bridge communication between IT and business owners; Conduct benchmarking analysis.
- Change Management: Plan for change (using change management processes) and support units during the transition phase from project to production.
- Process Improvement: Identify opportunities for improvement in operations and enhancements to student services.
- Business Need support: Work with ES Leaders and Unit Managers to analyse and formalize their business needs, follow-up on prioritization and progress
- Testing and Support: Work with units to help with testing and provide post-implementation support as needed
- Documentation and Training: Produce documentation and run training sessions or work in conjunction with ICS to produce training programs and materials.
- Research Trends and Technology: Keep abreast of new developments in project management; research higher educational technology and trends so that we can propose better solutions.
- Client Support: Liaise with clients and partner units.
The Project and Change Management (PCM) Unit provides the following services:
Business Needs Statements (BNS) & Business Analysis
Whether a unit requires a change to the current process or a whole new solution, it all starts with a business needs statement. This document explains the current situation and then outlines the issues we are trying to resolve and the high level requirements that need to be met. The Project and Change Management team works with ES Leaders and Unit Managers to analyse and formalize their business needs. We submit the business needs statement to IT on your behalf and follow up on its prioritization and progress.
We manage projects for Enrolment Services and act as ES Business Project Managers on larger scaled projects that are managed by the PMO. ES Project Managers act as business analysts, subject matter experts and help to bridge communication between IT and business owners.
- Examples of ES led projects include: Service Point Checkout, AskMcGill, Multiple Choice Exam Solutions and McGill Mobile App
- Examples of IT led projects include: Student Exchange and Study Away and eSecure Document Exchange
Documentation & Training
We produce training documentation and run training sessions or work in conjunction with ICS to produce training programs and materials.
Testing & Support
Testing is crucial both in preproduction & production stages. Once the solution is rolled out, we support units in the early phases of implementation.
Going from current state of affairs to the “TO BE” stage requires planning & management. We plan for and support the unit during the transition phase from project to production.
Research Trends & Technology
We research higher educational technology & trends so that we can propose better solutions.